Asthma/depression - BUT I WANT TO DIVE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cogaritis

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi everyone,

My name is Dustin and I'm 28, almost 29 years old. I made the decision recently to join the U.S. Navy as a NSW/NSO diver, but to much disappointment, discovered that asthma is a disqualifier across all branches of the service, as well as depression.

Diving has hit me so hard and true that I want to do anything and everything possible to pursue a career in this field, if I can do it safely for both myself and the others that I would be working with.

Now, more information...

Depression - I take 50mg of Zoloft daily. I have spent the last 5 years or so analyzing myself very intimately and I am most definitely back on track. Depression is no longer an issue and I'm sure I can get my docs to sign off on this. I'm not as worried about this as I am asthma. I have learned how to control the depression - I have a very, very strong mental attitude.

Asthma - I've had it since I was a kid, but I've never considered it a disability until other people told me it was. I used to skateboard as a kid, P.E. in school was fine, I even started exercising and running on a regular basis. I have exercise-induced asthma, but it is also triggered by other factors such as smoke or mold or whatnot. BUT - I KNOW WHAT I CAN AND CAN'T DO. I was on Advair for a month or so as a trial medication, and it changed my life. For the first time ever I didn't have to use my rescue inhaler.

My question is this - if I can prove / show a solid history of Advair use without having any asthma attacks or having to use an inhaler, can I dive? My goal is to talk to my doctor and get a script for Advair. Once I have that (in the next week), I plan to start training for the U.S. Navy physical testing. I still may be ineligible for the Navy - I'm going to talk to my local recruiter to see if controlled asthma via Advair is acceptable. More than likely it is not - and this disappoints me greatly. It took me years to set my heart on something only to find out my asthma is preventing me from doing so. I will not stand for this - I will beat this monster and do anything to overcome it. If Theodore Roosevelt can, you bet your ass I can.

Please - if anyone has any experience with this or knows of anyone I can speak to or any dive schools I can attend, please let me know. Again - this is a decision that I have thought years about and I'm going to do every possible thing I can to at least attempt to do this. I will NOT let it control my life.

(I apologize for not doing a quick search for articles related to this. I'm at work now [I've been in IT for years], but I'm so distraught over the recent news that I have to ask, I have to do whatever I can to try.)

Thanks,
Dustin

The Navy will not let you dive with asthma, but you may be cleared by a doc to dive recreationally if you can pass some tests. Read this article. Asthma

Thank you. I found this link a few days ago. I plan to start an intense exercise regimen to test my limits. I have until the age of 30 to enlist in the Navy, and my 29th is coming in March. I'll know more of my limits in a month or two. I've contacted CDA Technical, but the expert diver said asthma is a disqualifying factor and I wouldn't be able to pass the physical. Period.

I like what the article says, though it looks like I have a long road ahead of me. BRING IT ON!

They will do a methacholine test with your spirometric tests. You have to pass that before they will let you enlist.

Have your asthma doc order one for you and see what the results say.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The test is to check for asthma. You can have recorded childhood asthma (age 12 or less) and still enlist. If you currently have asthma you cant enlist.

BTW depression is a DQ as well. You have to wait five years after your doc takes you off of your meds.

Yeah, I just spoke again with a U.S. Navy recruiter and even if I can control it with inhaled steroids (Advair) I still won't be able to enlist. It is a great blow to know that I can't serve my country. I understand why not, but that doesn't mean it doesn't hurt to hear it.

---------- Post added February 20th, 2014 at 09:36 AM ----------

So, what about commercial diving? Can I even get certified to be a diver if I'm able to control my asthma with Advair? I'd prefer to do underwater welding, exploration, salvage, etc.

The depression - I can understand that as well. But I know how much of a battle it was and is, and I'm confident that I can be removed from my meds and I will be just fine. I was raised by very pessimistic parents and that alone is like poison running through your veins. The exercise alone will give me enough "happy" chemicals to keep me straight. Like I said, I'm not worried about the depression, just the asthma.

Thanks everyone so far who has responded.

Um not sure what happened to my reply - guess it has to be approved? Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for everyone's input so far and I'm looking forward to hearing more.

---------- Post added February 20th, 2014 at 09:51 AM ----------

Yes, according to the U.S. Navy website, my local recruiter (SUPERSTITION office, AZ), and articles that I've found on the web, any asthma after the age of 12 is a disqualifier for all branches of the military. This may have been different in the past, but this is how it is as of today. This includes asthma controlled by Advair or similar medications (without the use of a rescue inhaler).

Okay, I get it, I can't serve my country. :( It's disappointing to hear, but what can I do?

The (only?) other option is a commercial certification for diving. I'd still like to pursue a diving career, but I need to know if I can even get certified. Like I mentioned earlier, my current goal is to get a script for Advair and start an intense exercise regimen. This will show me what I can or cannot do. If I'm able to perform (like I know I will be as I've used it in the past), then starts the schooling/certification. Again, as I've said, CDA Technical responded to me and said asthma is a disqualifier and I won't be able to pass the initial physical exam. Yes, understandable, but if I can control my asthma with Advair and prove that I no longer need a rescue inhaler and that I can pass the respiratory tests with flying colors, can I get certified?

I'm interested in all aspects - welding, plumbing, salvage, repair, exploration, rescue - ALL OF IT. There has got to be something that I can do under the water.

In order to take a recreational open water class, you will need to obtain your doctor's approval.

Asthma might or might not disqualify you. You can contact Diver's Alert Network for a referral to a doctor that can actually make a good estimate of your fitness to dive (it's free to call, but if you dive, you should definitely sign up).

If you just talk to your internist, it's a coin flip whether you'll get a "no!" knee jerk reaction because of liability concerns, or a "sure! why not!" when it might not actually be safe for you. It's better if you talk to someone who actually understands the issues.

DAN should also have a good idea what to do about your depression and how safe/compatible your drugs are with SCUBA.

flots.

Thank you, flots. If the depression meds are a concern, I'll discuss with my psychiatrist and make preparations to discontinue them. I'm not afraid of trying that. I've been off of them before on my own accord (6 months) and I know I can manage.

Back
Top Bottom