Sudafed and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Long term use of decongestants like Sudafed or Afrin is not recommended. All you have to do is read the box. 4 days maximum or you can get rebound congestion. I use them for an occasional or weekend dive. For a longer trip, prescribed steroidal sprays are a better choice, but have to be started weeks before the trip.

Anyone using pseudoephedrine HCl at 60mg twice a day, every day is seriously overdosing and playing with fire. The word "addiction" comes to mind.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Says someone who has no breathing issues

I have allergies and always use Sudafed (12 hour) before diving. Sometimes add a shot of Afrin in the am only, not twice a day if the room we are in smells musty/moldy. I had a reverse block once and never want to experience that again! For me, all it takes is someone smoking on the dive boat (pet peeve) or, would you believe, coming on a dive boat wearing heavy perfume (gag, choke, wheeze) to make me immediately congested. Never had any problems with either meds. And I do use a prescription nasal spray. I have discussed this with my allergist.

I have been using sudafed for diving, since I started in 1975. I have had no issues.
As to the reverse squeeze, pinch your nose & swallow, works for me....

If I am actually congested I do not dive.

I do use pseudophed from time to time. I use when I have come off a cold, am now able to breath easily, ears feel like they are clear when I test them, but I still have some drainage. More of a preventive.

I have used them off and on for several years on land so I know that I tolerate them well.

Always the 12 hour variety taken an hour or two before the dive.

Don't take the 24 hours. Gives me restless sleep.

I try to always do controlled ascents and descents but if I have taken pseudophed I do them even slower and try to pay extra attention that the ears are clearlng well. If I detected trouble clearing on a deeper dive I would thumb the dive part way down rather than risk a reverse block at 100 ft.

I am glad to read this thread, as it's something I've never given a second thought and I'm getting a free education.

I remember a time when every dive shop I went into had a little display box with small dosage cards of Sudafed for sale.

DFB

Ok, there are a few potential issues with pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) and diving.

1) The potential reverse block hence the above mentioned recommendation for the 12 hour formula...

2) The cardiovascular side effects such as elevated heart rate, blood pressure. Not a significant issue for most divers but a consideration for some, especial divers with a CV or hypertensive history. These individuals are often advised not to take pseudoephridine for colds as well.

3) The potential CNS side effects such as nervousness and tremors. It is the effect of pseudoephedrine on the CNS that is most concerning to divers. If interested here is one link to a discussion regarding the largely theoretical risk of increased oxygen toxicity related to pseudophedrine:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/advanced-scuba-discussions/455187-oxygen-toxicity-discussion.html

Personally, I will use pseudophedrine if needed and I know I will be no where near the PPO2 limits. If I know I will be pushing it and I need a decongestant, I go with Afrin.

BTW Sudafed does not have the rebound risk that Afrin does.

Last edited:
I use Afrin and have had no problems when diving, but I usually get a stuffy nose the next day. It is good for a day of diving and I probably use it 1 or 2 times a week.

So I hired a DM in LA to go dive Catalina. We meet at the shop and go to take the Ferry. At the Ferry I noticed He seemed to be congested. I asked and he said he was. Asked him if he ever tried pseudophed. He said no. So I took a couple out of my dive bag and gave them to him. Figured that he could use the other one the next day.

NOTE TO SELF: Do not assume that others know the correct dose is one !!!

He told me later he got so wired from popping both at the same time that he almost called the first dive. This from a big guy with a thousand dives.

So I hired a DM in LA to go dive Catalina. We meet at the shop and go to take the Ferry. At the Ferry I noticed He seemed to be congested. I asked and he said he was. Asked him if he ever tried pseudophed. He said no. So I took a couple out of my dive bag and gave them to him. Figured that he could use the other one the next day.

NOTE TO SELF: Do not assume that others know the correct dose is one !!!

He told me later he got so wired from popping both at the same time that he almost called the first dive. This from a big guy with a thousand dives.
:laughing: Ooops.

It's just an everyday pill for me living here in this rural area of the US Bread Basket. There's always something that will stuff me up. I am cautious about suggesting them to others tho. There are indeed possible problems, the warnings on the box or site should be read, and I do suggest trying them on land with no plans for the day, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom