Considering Provo & Grand Turk for shore diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kharon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have any experience with shore diving on Providenciales and Grand Turk? Can you rent tanks or get unlimited air packages from dive shops there?

I spent on week on Provo about 18 months ago and I there were no shore diving sites to speak of, or any dive operators that offered shore dives. It was all boat diving to spots far off-shore or over to West Caicos; which were spectacular dives, by the way.

Well there's this: Scuba Shore Diving Site Page for: Smith Cove of Turks and Cacos, Caribbean - doesn't sound like much. Supposedly you can get tanks from the Caicos Adventures shop near there.

Otherwise it's an excessively long swim out to the reef - Amanyara mentions it as 500M offshore from their property. That may be closest place - IDK.
Located directly in front of the resort, approximately 500 metres (1,640 feet) from the beach, are the remarkable coral reef walls of the Northwest Point Marine National Park.
Farther than I'd want to swim...lol.

You can reach the wall from Grand Turk with a reasonable surface swim out from some of the resorts/beaches. I think it's about 150-200 yds. Maybe I've read somewhere it's accessible from the Bohio Dive Resort. I've never been there.

Best diving is West Caicos or French Cay. FC if you want to see sharks. The Provo boats feed you lunch and return around 2PM after 2 dives.

Last edited:
From everything I've read it's a long swim in Grand Turk, Provo-forget about it. As for Provo, we never got back before 3pm, some days 4pm. Talk about wasting the day away, sure WC and FC were great but we had spent the week previous in Salt Cay eating lunch at 12:30 after our 2 am dives were done. Having the rest of the day!

I did two dives out to the reef while on Grand Turk , Bohio . It is a half hour each way to the wall , it is really a lot of work especially after two morning boat dives .
There is really not much to see on the swim out so we just deadheaded out to the wall , dove till we hit 1500 psi and did our return to the beach . It was tiring for sure .
Bonaire is for shore diving .

TCI has great diving but unfortunately not the place for shore diving.

Yeah. Same suggestion from everyone. My local club (me too) is going to Grand Cayman this September. I will scope it out for additional solo trips there. Identified a place I could get (off season) for $89/night with full kitchen - similar to what I rent when I go to Bonaire. Looks like lots of shore diving is available once you know where to get air and which are open (no dive shop on site). I'm looking forward to the experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom