Tough Dive Knives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
What is a good tough dive knife? I find most of them to have really thin blades that would probably break if I did any real prying with it. Are there some good solid stainless steel knives out there with thick blades like 1/4 in thick? JoustingJaguars.com has a list of dive knives submitted by users. Any thoughts?

Do you plan on doing a lot of "real prying" underwater? When I first started diving I had this impression that all scuba divers wore big fixed blade knives strapped to their legs. Boy was my impression wrong. Now I chuckle whenever I see someone wearing a big knife. I have a simple Spyderco folder that I stick in a pocket.

Do you plan on doing a lot of "real prying" underwater? When I first started diving I had this impression that all scuba divers wore big fixed blade knives strapped to their legs. Boy was my impression wrong. Now I chuckle whenever I see someone wearing a big knife. I have a simple Spyderco folder that I stick in a pocket.
Ditto....I have an XS Fog Cutter that some one gave me and I never use, if your interested.....You can cut, pry, slash and do all sorts of things w/it.....

Buy a couple of the cheapest knives you can find on the internet. then If you break it or loose it it's no big deal.

Send me a drawing and I'll cut you a knife out of 1/4 inch stainless or get a chunk of 1/4 in titanium from a customer who said he'd get it for me to play with if I wanted. You'll have to sharpen it yourself though. I'll waterjet the shape.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

There are some inexpensive knives from Subapro with serrated blade. Small but thick with line cutter included. They sell also a filament nett cutter, which is used by US Navy divers, too. Titanium or stainless steel. Comes all with poach. Leg is the last place I would put a knife, better arm or harness around chest.

Regards
Alex@nder

I like my wenoka squeeze pretty well. Titanium coated so no rusting, and the serrated side cuts great, but it's not as sharp on the flat side as I would like (I think the titanium just can't get the edge that steel can). My favourite thing about it is how next-to-impossible it is to get out of its sheathe unintentionally. Most locking mechanisms on dive knives I've seen are terrible. What good is a knife you're going to leave at the bottom of the ocean?

If I had it to do over I would have just gotten emt shears in addition to the trilobite line cutter I also carry. Might still do that.

What is a good tough dive knife? I find most of them to have really thin blades that would probably break if I did any real prying with it. Are there some good solid stainless steel knives out there with thick blades like 1/4 in thick? JoustingJaguars.com has a list of dive knives submitted by users. Any thoughts?

1/4 in thick :confused:

What kind of tasks should you be able to perform with the knife? Cutting line? Rope? Harness? Net? Wire? Tree branches?

How about this knife: Green River Knife (17cm) not including sheath - Fins, Knifes and Torches - JKKA.S0055 ? You'll need to buy ten. They don't process small orders.

Or, you could bring a crow bar. It's pretty powerfull, especially if you can kneel down and work efficiently. I'd recommend side mounting for that. It makes your back flexible by removing the steel plate. You need a flexible back to harness the full body strength. The (movable) snoopy loop + cold water clip are there for harness attachment (e.g. with a sling). This allows easy locating of the tool in a zero visibility river in case you need to put that tool down for a moment. I used that when we recovered a millstone from a river. The added benefit is that with this you can tell rubber, wood and stone apart based on the sound it makes, and also by impact feel.
20140224_100459.jpg

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom