Tips for portable 'rinse bucket' that could be packed in luggage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waterproof bags are good for keeping water in as well as out.

Excellent Idea. Our larger dry bag might work well for that application..30 liters is a decent "bucket"

MAKO Waterproof Bag - Transparent

MWBT-2.jpg

Got this at Wal-Mart a year or so ago. Might be bit small for DSLR but fits my Sony RX100 very nicely, fits in my suitcase well and provides a bit of extra protection when I elect to put something on the more fragile side in my checked bag.
IMG_0400.jpg

Thanks everyone for the diverse suggestions. I will be looking at all the cooler models suggested. I did some generic model searches last night but not having my camera measurements on hand it was hard to determine an adequate size + I thought folks here would have experience re. durability. rhwestfall, have you found the soft sided coolers tend to leak? Edited to add: These OA coolers look great!

Re. the HD garbage bag, I was ideally looking for something that I could leave the camera soaking in overnight, and that did not require filling every day (since fresh water may be unreliable or scarce). I'd need a superstructure to make a garbage bag work, which I am not sure I will have. Extra marks for being super lightweight however.

The collapsible buckets I had never seen. Many are too small. A couple looked possible, but the larger ones have no superstructure. Many were more tall than wide, and a wide base would be easiest to fit all the important kit in at once without having to contort the arms/synchs, or rest the entire system vertically on one strobe.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may be over thinking this.

Popping it in the shower should be fine.
if you are really paranoid, you could also slosh it around in a garbage bag for a few minutes afterwards. There is no need to soak it over night. You are not trying to remove several years of salt build up.

Take a ziplock bag o fresh water (or just a refilled water bottle) on the boat and give your housing a quick douse after each dive. Cover it with a towel and do not leave it in direct sun light. It will still be wet by the time you get it back to your shower.

Search colloapseable water bucket... Mainly it's a car accessories... Either plastic or canvas type. Plastics one are better... Sizes varies

KitBag.jpg

I use a military surplus kit bag for this. It is very strong and large enough to carry all my gear as well as being reasonably water proof so at the end of the day I can just leave the equipment in the bag and fill it with water. I have also used it as a lift bag and have filled it with rocks so I could use it as an anchor when kayak diving. It is simple & light so it is easy to pack and about as versatile as you can get.

Jim, Sorry but I do not have a link, I just picked one up at an Army Navy store I was walking by in Manhattan. I do not recall the name or if they have a web site either but I could check it out next time I am in the area. This is a VERY common item though, you should be able to find it easily at any surplus store. Just make sure it is government issue "kit bag" not an imitation. Mine says the following.

KIT BAG, FLYER'S
W.C.B.A.
MFD 4/96
8460-00-606-8366
U.S.

Thanks everyone for the diverse suggestions. I will be looking at all the cooler models suggested. I did some generic model searches last night but not having my camera measurements on hand it was hard to determine an adequate size + I thought folks here would have experience re. durability. rhwestfall, have you found the soft sided coolers tend to leak?

I place my housing inside the NorChill bag filled with water on the back of my truck for the ride back home. The zipper keeps the bag closed and there are no spills. The bag also provides plenty of padding for a bouncing boat or truck.

IMO, you should not leave the housing soaking overnight in the same water you used to rinse it.

---------- Post added February 25th, 2014 at 10:24 AM ----------

did not require filling every day (since fresh water may be unreliable or scarce).

I lived in Guinea Bissau and Senegal on the west coast of Africa quite few years ago and in my experience you could always find running water that was okay to wash clothes or take a shower, but drinking water was not readily available. Bottled water had to be imported!

Where are you traveling to?

Back
Top Bottom