Advice for novice/beginner divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Confused about the reference to International Transaction fees for credit cards. Used my Visa last summer for everything including gas and never had a tranaction fee on anything. My understanding that there is none now that Bonaire is on the US dollar.

Oh, there still are. I have a VISA debit card, but I believe a number of credit cards are also affected. When I purchase something in Bonaire (which I did last year), it shows up online in our account for that amount posted. But then a few days later, the international transaction fee posts. With my card, it's 3%, and I believe that's fairly common.

This issue is using the card outside the U.S., not the currency of Bonaire, which has indeed been the U.S. dollar for awhile now.

Whether a fee is charged depends on the card you use. I think some don't have it.

Richard.

Headed to Bonaire for the third time next week!!! We have found shore diving incredibly easy, Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy is priceless for the first trip. VIP Divers does reasonably priced guided shore dives, both Bas Noij and Bas Tol are very good. If you get a calm day, be sure to get them for a dive at Lac Cai, its outstanding.

Just to be clear...Bas Noij owns/runs VIP divers and Bas Tol runs his own operation called Bas Diving. They are separate entities. Bas Tol does not work at VIP.

Oh, there still are. I have a VISA debit card, but I believe a number of credit cards are also affected. When I purchase something in Bonaire (which I did last year), it shows up online in our account for that amount posted. But then a few days later, the international transaction fee posts. With my card, it's 3%, and I believe that's fairly common.

This issue is using the card outside the U.S., not the currency of Bonaire, which has indeed been the U.S. dollar for awhile now.

Whether a fee is charged depends on the card you use. I think some don't have it.

Richard.
+1

I know that Cabela's Visa does have it. Ouch. Next time; I pay cash.

We use our CapitalOne Venture Visa anytime we travel out of the USA. No foreign transaction fees and rewards accrued on the card are redeemable for travel-related expenses. Last year we redeemed CC "miles" for 4 weeks worth of truck rental on Bonaire.

There's no annual fee for the 1st year for this card and then it's $60/year after that. Travel is our thing anyway, so this kind of card fits our lifestyle. There's nothing wrong with any other reward card that works for you, as long as you're getting some kind of reward for your CC spend. Anyone with decent credit who travels out of the country should have at least one card with no foreign transaction fees. Savings enjoyed during one trip a year will usually cover the $60 annual fee. Any rewards after that are a bonus.

As long as merchants are charging consumers the same price for cash and CC transactions there's no reason to give CC reward opportunity away from a consumer perspective. FWIW I actually think Bonaire is progressive in this area. Many merchants and private rental owners pass a surcharge along to customers to cover CC transaction fees from their side. It's (sort of) funny how some of us USA folks get indignant when asked to pay extra by Bonairean merchants because we want to be "protected" by CC consumer services. We like our special sauce, but we don't like to pay more for it.

You might be surprised at the "discounts" you can negotiate when offering to pay with cash. I was.

Hey

Any place you would recommend that is closer to the cost point of Dive Hut? I believe looking at Dive buddy, they were almost double the price.

I would doubt that if you look at the total cost that Buddy was twice the cost of any place on the island. you must have a truck, you will want to have unlimited tanks, you should have nitrox, and the bed you sleep in is last on my list of important things for Bonaire but buddies are nice enough. you can certainly skip the boat dives to save a little money and I always skip the breakfast, the cost per dive in Bonaire is less than anyplace I have found in the Caribbean. if I were single I might attempt to sleep in the truck and skip the resort :wink: but at my age not really going to be an option and I used up all my roughing it tokens in the USMC.

have a great time, next to the pool in your open water course, Bonaire is the next easiest place to dive.

Bonaire is perfect for you.
Ask for a guide on your checkout dive and they can show you the reef.
Make a careful note (including depth) of a prominent marker at the dropoff. At Sanddollar it was a raised big barrel sponge.
Dive the house reef twice a day unguided taking care to always find your marker before you descend the dropoff. Check the current, if there is any and head into the current. Swim out turn and return at the top of the reef, at the same depth as your marker then you know when you are back at the resort.
Go slow there is so much to see, watch your buddy, stay close, don't swim one behind the other, the one in the front cannot see the other.
Don't bother getting a truck unless you are going to be there for a week or more, the house reef has plenty to keep you occupied.

Take a few boat dives to see other parts of the Island.
If you have the money and are feeling confident book a guide to take you out at sunset, not a night dive but entry in daylight exit in the dusk. Take torches. Fantastic. It show the reef in a whole new light (excuse the pun)

Most important have fun and stay safe

Hmm .. thanks guys. My original trip was going to be Cozumel but its like i keep hearing of boats sinking and divers dying there, not to mention the strong currents that I've been looking at an alternative. Looks like I may need to up the budget. The arguments for staying at a reef resort are compelling and even though Cozumel was much cheaper, I can compensate that by maybe getting 15 to 20 dives in.

Arsalan, There is no doubt there is very good advice in this thread regarding Bonaire. As said, diving Bonaire is wonderful and very suitable for all levels. I believe you and your Newbie buddy will enjoy it very much. My 2 cents worth is similar to what is already mentioned. Rent a truck, get thick sole booties, acquire a copy Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy, perhaps hire a private divemaster for your first couple of days and then go and enjoy ! If you stay at a waterfront property, you may want to just stick to the house reef for the first couple of days in order to get familiar to the routine of things. However, if you want to venture out, the southern sites from around the Salt Pier and north to town are usually very easy entry and easy going. Sites north of town do have interesting entries or access, ie: Oil Slick, Thousand Steps and Karpata, however, they too are very doable. Currents are very easy to non-existent overall and the dives can be enjoyed at a slow pace. In fact, my hubby and I often end up staying in the immediate area upon entering between 40 to 60 feet for the entire hour-hour and a half dive. Or, if we decide to venture further we enter at shore, descend and gradually make our way out to the buoy (if there is one). We turn into the current (if there is any) and then proceed until we get to half tank. At which point, we turn around and head back to the point of entry, slowly ascending and including our safety stop as we make it to shore. Should you get off point a bit, no worries. All you need to do is surface, look for your truck then swim to it. You may want to descend to just below water surface to reduce your drag and make the swim a bit easier. However, even if you are at 5 feet remember to surface slowly.

Now, in so much that Bonaire is a fantastic place, I also will mention that ruling out Cozumel because of boats sinking and divers dying is not a reason to not dive there. Boats sink wherever there are boats in the water and tragically fatalities do happen in this sport we enjoy. Boats sink due to mechanical problems as well as water conditions. Divers die due to error, unforeseen dive conditions and natural causes. As far as the strong currents, yes, Cozumel is known to be an area for drift diving, and sometimes you end up flying rather fast, however, many beginner divers enjoy diving there every day. But with proper instruction and experience, drift diving is something that can be mastered. If and once you feel you would like to try Cozumel, go on over to the Cozumel forum and research a bit. Read the reviews and get an idea of how it all works there. I always recommend for new Cozumel divers to read the reviews, choose 3-5 dive ops that interest them and then contact the dive op with questions. This process can take a bit of time as there are many reputable and professional dive ops in Cozumel. Once you have a dive op confirmed, then, find lodging that works well for you and your dive op. Just be forwarned, there is also a very Active and very Vocal Cozumel Scubaboard community who do, at times, let there passion for Cozumel run amuck in their comments and responses. Sometimes, the discussions can evolve into a sensation of sorts, which, may be why you are leary about diving there. I do know there has been some recent activity regarding a boat sinking . However, considering the hundreds of boats that are used by the dive and fishing industry in Cozumel, a sinking is actually quite uncommon. This also applies to diver fatality. Without a doubt, a tragic event as such does affect the diving community a great deal, however, it is what it is and sadly something that does happen. The best we can do is keep ourselves and our buddies as safe as possible and do whatever we can to dive another day.

Arsalan, no matter where you dive, Best Wishes to you and Happy Diving !!! Do your research, be open to learning about the sport, improving your skills, and enjoy ! And, as my Cozumel Divemaster, Pedro Pablo of Blue XT Sea diving has told me for the past 12 years, "Take is slow".

Rent a truck, get thick sole booties. Stick to the house reef for the first couple of days in order to get familiar to the routine of things. ..enter at shore, descend and gradually make our way out to the buoy (if there is one). We turn into the current (if there is any) and then proceed until we get to half tank. At which point, we turn around and head back to the point of entry, slowly ascending and including our safety stop as we make it to shore. Should you get off point a bit, no worries. All you need to do is surface, look for your truck then swim to it. You may want to descend to just below water surface to reduce your drag and make the swim a bit easier.

Arsalan, no matter where you dive, Best Wishes to you and Happy Diving !!! Do your research, be open to learning about the sport, improving your skills, and enjoy ! And, as my Cozumel Divemaster, Pedro Pablo of Blue XT Sea diving has told me for the past 12 years, "Take is slow".

Yes, yes, and yes. Bonaire can be done at many price points based on your decisions. Ocean front? Resort or small house/apt? Boat dives? Truck rental? Eating/drinking out? There are many reputable rental options aside from 'the resorts' including VRBO and the local realtors. Rentals range from my personal favorite to drool over - Villa Salentien (or the Blue Tile Roof house as we call it) at US $9,000 a week to a several hundred a week for a room and a bed.

Sue Sue is spot on re: shore diving - the reef runs parallel to the shore, hard to get lost. One thing to add - this is a perfect place to hone navigation skills. Take a heading from entry point to the mooring, drop down and note depth of mooring (say 25 feet). Make your dive, on the return stay around that 25 foot, locate the mooring, take the reciprocal heading on the way back in.

And the last nod yes to Pedro Pablo - SLOW DOWN. We have taken newly minted divers under our wing. Some have asked to dive with us, I don't know, we look friendly. After a couple days they were amazed how much more they enjoyed diving when we got them to slow down, how much it improved their diving (trim, SAC, etc.) and how they saw more critters. I don't view it as a race to see how far and fast you can go. Take time to look out into the open water for that Manta/Dolphin/Whale/Shark/Eagle ray. Take time to look into the basket sponge for the bizarre shrimp and crabs. And have a good time wherever you land.

---------- Post added February 26th, 2014 at 04:35 PM ----------

There's nothing wrong with any other reward card that works for you, as long as you're getting some kind of reward for your CC spend. Anyone with decent credit who travels out of the country should have at least one card with no foreign transaction fees. Savings enjoyed during one trip a year will usually cover the $60 annual fee. Any rewards after that are a bonus.

As long as merchants are charging consumers the same price for cash and CC transactions there's no reason to give CC reward opportunity away from a consumer perspective. FWIW I actually think Bonaire is progressive in this area. Many merchants and private rental owners pass a surcharge along to customers to cover CC transaction fees from their side. It's (sort of) funny how some of us USA folks get indignant when asked to pay extra by Bonairean merchants because we want to be "protected" by CC consumer services. We like our special sauce, but we don't like to pay more for it.

You might be surprised at the "discounts" you can negotiate when offering to pay with cash. I was.

Cash is king! It's been accepted in every country to which I've been, no questions asked, no transactions fees, no fraud. Just keep it close at all times. And the magic words 'is that the best you can do if I pay cash?' have passed from my lips many a time. The CC points do add up and there may be other perks attached to your card. Ours allows access to air clubs, refunds for incidentals like bag check fees (up to $200 a year, yippee!), re-routing assistance, car rental insurance protection, upgrades and more. Sometimes you do have to make a call to get them, but I'll make a call to save $200.

For a new diver, I'd definitely recommend Bonaire instead of Cozumel. The currents on Cozumel can be pretty strong. Diving doesn't get any easier than Bonaire.

I'd definitely recommend doing a dive or two with a divemaster since you are a new diver, especially if your buddy is a newbie. The shore diving here is as good as it gets, and you can't beat the price. The only reason to do a boat dive is to dive Klein Bonaire (the small island west of Bonaire) or to dive sites where a shore entry is difficult or impossible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom