Diver Missing - Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Very sorry to here of this tragedy.

Hopefully her dive buddy will be able to shed some light on the circumstances.

My condolences Xaver; I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure that answers will be forthcoming in-time. May the Lord comfort you and your family.

My condolences, Xaver. I hope you find the answers you need.

So sad to hear of any diver passing. Hopefully you get some answers to help it make sense Xaver.

Like your wife many of us see Bonaire as a paradise, which it is, and the diving there as extremely safe, which it mostly is.

In the end though diving does have it's risks, and one of those is that even a fairly minor health related incident can become a diving accident because the environment we are in is not a forgiving one for an air breathing land animal like us. Some, but not all such deaths are truly dive related. I really hope that when the instigation of this accident is completed it will provide some understanding and resolution.

Xaver:

Sorry for your great loss. It often takes quite awhile before the best factual reconstruction available is to be had, and then it may well not be sufficient to give you the closure you may hope for. While it can be maddening that every report, comment, speculation, etc...doesn't get shared at this point, be mindful that such an appropriate can lead to rumors, wild speculation that's way off base, etc...and get in the way of finding the truth, or what there is of it to be found.

If you share a little info. about your wife, it may help those of us who know almost nothing of her but are familiar with Bonaire to get some limited understanding of the situation. It would be helpful to know her age, how long she's been a diver, about how many dives she'd done (maybe even where she'd dove over time), her certification level (e.g.: open water, advanced open water, rescue diver...), whether she had any known physical (or mental) health conditions (e.g.: asthma, high blood pressure), and whether she took any medications.

It won't give us 'the answer,' but it might help identify a risk factor of some sort.

Richard.

It pays to remember that these online discussions are open to all, and they often go far afield in attempt to understand such an accident. Sometimes "fact(s)" turn out to have been mere speculation, or outright errors, and pet theories sometimes get a lot of air time, while providing no real information about the actual event.

Xaver, very sorry to learn about the passing of your wife. I hope someone can provide you information.

It is my wife who died in this accident. If anybody has any information whatever, please contact me. I don't get official information, nobody tells me what happened. The dive buddies of my wife will return end of next week. I am so sad she died in her paradise, that's how she called Bonaire, she was there before and very experienced. How could this happen?
Condolences are actually not allowed in this forum for reasons of objectivity (we have a Passings forum for such), but I can certainly understand your sad situation. In hope that we might help in some way...

(1) Where are you? Flying to Bonaire can be challenging with the few flights available, but there may be a way to get there quickly, depending on where you are?

(2) Do you know if your wife was insured under DAN or Dive Alert dive insurance? Have you spoken with them about their assistance?

(3) Have you spoken with Valerie Belon, Consulate General of the United States, on Curaçao? She serves Aruba, Curaçao, Sint Maarten (countries in the Kingdom of the Netherlands) as well as Bonaire, Saba and Sint Eustatius (special municipalities of the Netherlands).

I would be surprised if you find out anything useful from any authority in Bonaire. I had a friend die in an accident in Bonaire and the assistance and information from the authorities was atrocious. We were told the "official" cause of death, but it was never proven. We will never know what happened to him and miss him everyday. I went to Bonaire to dive the site almost a year to the minute of where the accident happened. I don't plan on going back.

Blowingbubbles, yes, the Bonaire authorities were less than helpful. Distinct lack of interest.

I truly hope Xaver does not experience the same treatment.

Back
Top Bottom