Anyone use the new Inon UCL-100LD/UCL-100M67 close-up lens yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Says not compatible with G15 in Canon housing. I wonder if it's usable in the Nauticam housing with the same camera?

I do not think so but with the g15 and 140mm zoom you don't need such a strong diopter a normal UCL165 or Dyron or Subsee 5 are sufficient for super macro

I do not think so but with the g15 and 140mm zoom you don't need such a strong diopter a normal UCL165 or Dyron or Subsee 5 are sufficient for super macro

Which would recommend? I was interested in the UCL-100M67 because it could be used over a wide range of the lens, and because it had very little aberration. I'm partial to Inon, but if one of the others has better glass, I'd rather invest in them.

The UCL100 like the subsee is a 3 element lens while others on the market are only 2 elements.
In essence a normal diopter has two lenses separated by a sealed airspace while this lens has another lens in between that has the effect of suppressing aberration
From what I can see the results are much better than the UCL165 however it is easy enough to remove chromatic aberration in lightroom if you shoot stills
For video the amount of aberration will be difficult to notice unless it is really coarse
The good thing about this lens is that it works at wide end however as far as I know it does not work with the G15, meaning that the image quality is not good so your other option is subsee I guess there are people that have used that lens with the G series

I have a canon s95 and I have been stacking 2 ucl165s together with decent results, any aberration is sorted in lightrooms. I wouldn't mind getting a bit closer and a bit cripser so does anyone advise I get the ucl100 and just stack a ucl165 or buy both ucl100 and ucl330 and stack those? Does the ucl100 really offer a lot more than stacking 2x ucl165 as price tag not cheap! Any info appreciated!

The ucl100 has a focal length of 100mm vs 83.5mm of two ucl165
The combination of one UCL100+UCL165 has a focal length of 62.5 mm as far as I can see this is the most you can do with a compact camera before your focus point moves into the lenses themselves
I have some video footage of tiger shrimps shot with this combination bit have not has the time to edit it yet
For video you need a tripod at this level of magnification and in fact I had one
What housing and mount have you got for the S95?

I have a wpdc38 canon housing and an LD mount system. The current ucl165 x2 works well but was wondering what benefit is of getting the ucl 100 as I figured ucl165+ucl100 may have too shorter focal distance other than doing nudibranchs. Maybe the ucl 100 is better for shyer creatures like marble shrimps as dint have to get as close?

Hi Guys,
I have RX100 II and a Ikelite housing. I am very satisfied with the camera, but I used to have Canon G12 and it was much better for macro. Now I use i-Das UCL-02 +8 wet lens for macro and it is good for static critters like seahorses but when I want to use it for fish I can't get close enough with this diopter. So I would need something to focus on let say 40cm and to fill the sensor. I think that I read somewhere that with Inon UCL-330 I could do so. Does anyone have some experience with this problem?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom