Drift Diving and slow descent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you fare better using a decent line then that suggests that without one you are descending too fast. Using the line might be helping you overcome either being overweighted or venting your BC too quickly. Next time you do a free descent without a line try to SLOW down...add air to control your rate of descent better. Descending too quickly makes equalizing much more difficult especially for a newer diver.

I agree...using the descent line seems to allow me to slow down/control my descent and have better luck equalizing. From what I just found out, because of Coz being a designated marine park, they apparently don't allow descent lines, so for me maybe planning an insertion point further out from the target area might be the best option as it will allow me time to descend to the proper depth in time instead of flying over it.

equalizing doesnt involve luck.
equalize early and often.You will get better with experience.
It helps if you are properly weighted -it will get better with time.
If you have a medical condition that means you are slow at equalizing i would tend to stay away from drift dives.

Greetings -

as a fairly new diver I'm having issues equalizing and my last two attempts at diving in Cozumel have not gone very well. My concern is that if I do take 5-10 minutes to equalize during a descent on a drift dive, that I will out-pace the rest of the group, get separated, etc.

Someone had suggested that I ask the dive operator to allow me to use a descent line (I seem to have better luck equalizing using that) which again would potentially split me from the rest of the dive group, at least I would be behind the group than above and in front of.

Can anyone give me suggestions on how I should handle a planned slowww descent on a drift dive - will dive operators allow a descent line?

Thank you for any input!

I think you need to begin experimenting with Mucinex D..or with some other strong decongestant-- one that is good for 8 hours or more.
Many divers can only equalize consistently when using decongestants, yet few Dive instructors WILL tell you to use a decongestant, due to us having 5 lawyers looking for a lawsuit, for every one diver out there....
The liability issue--that some small percentage of divers "may" feel uncomfortable at 60 to 100 feet when using a decongestant, due to the effect of pressure on the actions of the drugs in the decongestant, could suggest to some lawyers that if a diver was to have anxiety on a dive when using sudafed--that should this diver have a problem, it could be BLAMED on the sudafed, or on any Instructor that suggested they should take it....
For most divers, they just won't even be aware that they have taken a decongestant during the dive, beyond the obvious fact that they can clear their Eustachian tubes easily--clear their ears.

Try it on a shallow drift dive, then on deeper ones....though I would be SHOCKED to hear that Mucinex D or sudafed bothers you at all underwater....SHOCKED!

Drift diving is a awesome form of diving, that gets you to some of the best marine life on our blue planet. It would be a shame not to embrace this technique, and use it well ( which means being able to EASILY DROP like a ton of bricks, when the drift drop calls for it :) )

is it true that free diving fins can help with equalization?

Ha Ha...
Sorry, this is mostly a pharmacological issue....
Now if you have been smoking some splits....I am not quite sure what that would do to your ear clearing, or how much you would feel it :)

I second the idea of a private DM. A couple of dozen people on the boat, plus crew, are not likely to change their plans to accommodate you. As far as improving your equalization, try a single 4 hour Sudafed ( the little red round ones) 30 to 45 minutes before the first dive of the day. I find they help. Also, don't overthink the equalization thing. Equalize gently, early and often, starting at the surface. Include yawns, head tilt, swallowing, and occasional exhale through the nose as part of the equalization tools in addition to the valsalva maneuver Diving within your limits includes diving within the conditions under which you can equalize and stay with or directly above your group. So deep drift dives in Cozumel, Floirdia or elsewhere may be off the agenda until you get a bit more experience. Happy Diving!
DivemasterDennis

Two good points have been brought up...experience and stress. To start I should be practicing my equalizing more frequently so I get better at the various techniques and get my body used to it. Being land-locked in the midwest and especially when 1/3 of the year is frozen over limits my dive options, but maybe hitting the deep end of the local pool and just practicing going up and down will be of benefit as well.

I was once precisely in your shoes. I was a midwest diver with few local diving options, and I had a terrible time equalizing. I once had an instructor tell me that diving might not be for me because of it. I began to work and work on getting better at it, which mostly means getting the Eustachian tubes used to doing their jobs. I did most of my early diving in Cozumel. I would practice equalizing at home for weeks before a trip. The deep end of the pool is great, but you can just practice the valsalva method while watching TV. I practiced equalizing on the airplane heading toward Cozumel. When we arrived, I would check in and sign up for my dives, then I would go snorkeling. I would free dive down repeatedly, getting deeper and deeper each time. The next day I would work on equalizing during the boat ride to the dive site. I would "pop my ears" before entering the water. I then equalized early and often on each dive, making sure I never let myself get deep enough to feel pain. By the 2nd or 3rd day, I was usually doing pretty well.

In those days I started using something to help open up my passages. I got some eucalyptus oil in Australia, and one whiff of that had everything wide open for the whole dive. It definitely helped me.

Today I dive frequently, and I don't even have to think about it. I barely even have to make an effort on descent, and I don't use anything artificial to clear the system, either. Once your ears get with the program, you'll be OK.

thanks to everyone who has replied. Getting more experience and practicing equalization techniques are things that I had planned to work on. A short while ago I attended the dive conference in Chicago and came away with some good info on equalization from a DAN seminar so I have a lot of information to work with in getting better prepped for future dives. I don't think that slow equalization issues is uncommon and I'd hate to think that I couldn't dive Coz because of that, but I certainly would not risk myself or a group because I pushed my limits. The purpose of the original post was to learn of any methods ppl with equalization issues have used on drift dives and I think i came away with some good info that I will put into practice. thanks again!

Start equalizing on the boat trip out to the dive site or in the car on the way to a shore dive. Equalize gently a few times on the surface before you begin your descent and then remember to descend slowly. For some unknown reason it helps to "puff" your cheeks out before you blow the air...I have no idea why that works but a friend suggested it many years a go and (at least in my case) it works like a charm. If you practice you will reach a point where you may not even need to actively equalize by pinching your nose you will able to simply swallow or yawn and you will be good to go.

Back
Top Bottom