• 180'

Votes: 14 10.4%
  • 218'

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Above 1.6 ppO2

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's some flawed english for you. I wasn't going to point it out as it added little to the discussion but hey...

I edit my posts sometimes because, as anal as some people are about math, I am about language. In my case though, I generally laugh at my own expense and make exceptions for others.

Thank you, as I said a few posts prior, English isn't my first language, I'm still learning, and so, I do appreciate when I am being corrected.
So please do. I see you highlighted "worst", but I have to confess, I still failed to see what is wrong :( help me out please.

---------- Post added February 28th, 2014 at 01:17 PM ----------

dalec and pavao.

i,m gonna guess you both ticked the less than 100ft choice.

I haven't selected any of the choices. I have done my share of air dives (210' max), but I posted earlier I think, my tanks are always full, none gets filled with air, if I have to dive in the pool, it will be nitrox.

Coincidentally, Mala was the name chosen by me for an online game I play :wink:

Here's some flawed english for you. I wasn't going to point it out as it added little to the discussion but hey...

I edit my posts sometimes because, as anal as some people are about math, I am about language. In my case though, I generally laugh at my own expense and make exceptions for others.

It always amazes me how often the point of a post can become obfuscated by the minutia of the math.

Yes, math is confusing for me actually. But then again, I take comfort in knowing it was so with Einstein too.

Actually, this is a hugely untrue rumor. Einstein was a BRILLIANT mathematician.

Either way, you didn't save 100%. You saved 100% of the cost of air by not going EANx. A percentage is simply a represntation of how much of something you're referring to. 100% of your air fill costs is exactly the same as 50% of your nitrox fills. It's not a math thing, it's a logic thing. You have to say percent OF something. It would have cost you an additional 100% OF the cost of your air fills to go EANx. It would have cost 200% the cost OF your air fills to go Nitrox. By going air, you paid 50% of the cost of EANx. Does that all make sense?

Either way, your "third group" of divers is where I think a lot of divers are at. I'm not mix-certified, but I'll dive to 130ft on air without a second thought in clear blue waters. I would rather not be at 130ft in a cave I'm unfamiliar with without a buddy. I'd also not want to get deep in a really dark water. I wouldn't mind going deeper than 130ft in clear water, but I'd definitely draw the line at 187ft (1.4PO2). If I ever decide to get mix-certified, I'll probably start adding trimix on dives starting at 150ft (depending on the location) or anything deeper than 100ft in a physical overhead. If I get rich, I'll take He on my 30ft reef dives. 40/60 mix anyone?? :D

Pavao, the correct word is "worse." Worst means the worst (there are no others that are worse). It's a noun, as in: it's the WORST pie I've ever eaten. Worse is a comparative word: "This pie is worse than that one." They could both be really good, but if one is bettet....the other is worse. If you've never had a worse pie, it would be the worst pie. Worst and Best are opposites, and so are More and Better. Pavao sounds portuguese, and I don't speak it well....but in spanish, worst is "el peor" and worse is "peor" and I believe portuguese to be the same way. I hope that helps. It's really confusing, until you think about using "the" with the words ("the worst" and "the best" vs "worse" and "better").

---------- Post added February 28th, 2014 at 01:47 PM ----------

It always amazes me how often the point of a post can become obfuscated by the minutia of the math.

It sounds like someone did well on their SATs :D. (Oh, you Canadians probably don't have those. Well, on standardized tests that test random vocabulary words.)

P O2 TODmax : 1.3 atm (IANTD) => 52 m on air
At 52 m P N2 : 4.9 atm. Max P N2: 5.5 from physiological perspective for being anesthetized. Proposed max P N2 : 3.6 atm (IANTD) => 45 m

In a nutshell : all below 45 m severely reduced in water awareness and hence decision making.

I personally dive on air or EAN 26 not deeper than 45 for a serious dive with extended BT.

Regards
Alex@nder

Whew...

I couldn't sleep much last night so I got up and spent way to much time thinking about this one. When I was at post #52 I saw that I could have written things more accurately/clearly/concisely by saying " By using air I saved myself spending an additional 100% over using EAN, or something of that sort, but honestly, to me it's like arguing the use of effect or affect in a sentence.

It's all context. If I were describing a gas calculation the precise math language would be relevant. If I were writing a legal document precise grammar would be important. But we are talking ideas, and I felt the idea I was describing was simple enough. I am the first to admit my math skills suck and I am keeping the Einstein reference - it makes me feel better.

Ask me what I think of deco on the fly :)

Pavao. No hard feelings. sometimes I get drawn into internet fights that in retrospect seem trivial and when that occurs I usually try to stop because it's really not what I want to represent on the board. My hats off to anyone who can speak two languages as I can only speak one.

P O2 TODmax : 1.3 atm (IANTD) => 52 m on air
At 52 m P N2 : 4.9 atm. Max P N2: 5.5 from physiological perspective for being anesthetized. Proposed max P N2 : 3.6 atm (IANTD) => 45 m

In a nutshell : all below 45 m severely reduced in water awareness and hence decision making.

I personally dive on air or EAN 26 not deeper than 45 for a serious dive with extended BT.

Regards
Alex@nder

very nice maffs alexander.

but what about the people who have seriously reduced decision making at the surface?
TDI still do a 55m air qual.

Pavao, the correct word is "worse." Worst means the worst (there are no others that are worse). It's a noun, as in: it's the WORST pie I've ever eaten. Worse is a comparative word: "This pie is worse than that one." They could both be really good, but if one is bettet....the other is worse. If you've never had a worse pie, it would be the worst pie. Worst and Best are opposites, and so are More and Better. Pavao sounds portuguese, and I don't speak it well....but in spanish, worst is "el peor" and worse is "peor" and I believe portuguese to be the same way. I hope that helps. It's really confusing, until you think about using "the" with the words ("the worst" and "the best" vs "worse" and "better").

Ty Victor, your explanation was perfect, I understood it clearly.
It is indeed Portuguese, "pior" would be the word, and you are correct once again, the word does not change between noun and comparative versions.

Now, to poke a little a more fun...:D
I hope that 100% of the detailed explanations on your post were understood by 100% of the it's readers hint hint DaleC hint hint

Thanks again
Pavao

I can train myself taking decisions with having 5 shots of vodka which equals the narcotic potential of that nitrogen partial pressure. I will be narced but can train myself to pursue well automatized tasks. I wouldn't recommend to do any overhead environment dives. Blue water at 30 degree C might be just fine as long as everything works well. I personally would avoid to do wreck penetration or complex task using air below 40 m as I recognize differences in awareness by using trimix. I am to stay within END of 36 m which equals a P N2 of 3.6 atm.

Regards
Alex@nder

Pavao. No hard feelings. sometimes I get drawn into internet fights that in retrospect seem trivial and when that occurs I usually try to stop because it's really not what I want to represent on the board. My hats off to anyone who can speak two languages as I can only speak one.

There are none bro, like I said, just joking, I do that a lot.
Speaking another language is very satisfying, it is extremely exciting on the beginning, the initial part is the hardest, but after you learn a little that you can ask a second/third question if the first wasn't understood, then you can take flight and you learn so much in a single day, it's the best part of the learning curve.
If you can go and spend so time where they only speak the language you intend to learn, you are going to learn real fast, come down to Miami if you wanna learn Spanish :wink:, we can dive together.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom