How do you get pool time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ComputerX

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I bought a new BP/W, and I need to figure out weighting. I paid an instructor for a couple hours help, but we didn't get it to where I would like it. I think I could do as well, or better, if I could just spend a little time in a pool by myself.

How does one get a chance to spend time in the water futzing with gear? I believe the shop I usually use (Diver Dan's) requires you to have an instructor with you. I would prefer to work by myself. Obviously I want someone there in case I get in trouble, but I would rather do my futzing alone.

I see Bamboo Reef's dive club offers twice a month "comfort sessions"[1], but I don't see anything on their club calendar.

What are my options? I live in Redwood City.

Thanks,

Dan

[1] Doesn't that sound a little dirty?

my local shop will let customers use the pool to try on gear etc whenever they don't have any lessons going. don't need an instructor as long as you have a c-card. i think they do charge a small fee though.

shops around here rarely have their own pools... so, a certified diver whom is "active" in the shop, might get to do some independent work quietly to one side while lessons are going on at the pool they use. In some cases, it might require a waiver.. It is all how you present yourself...

A few years ago, for a small fee, Blue Water Aquatics let me tool around in a pool while a few student/instructor groups did their thing.

sf rec dpt. at rossi pool at 600 argelo st on monday nights from 630 to 930 has scuba instructors on sight for what ever you need they have gear and charge about $30 or so. the pool is large and deep and indoor. at the same time they offer a full 30 hr class for about $140 great value

My local dive shop offers a scuba refresher class about once a month, at a local YMCA. I go every month and practice stuff or just help the other divers out, its inexpensive, I think he charges like 20.00 but you get a few hrs of dive time, and can try out gear, use your gear, etc. even includes the tanks. Look around for something like that.
As far as using your gear in a pool by your-self, I've been down that road with my SM gear... I want a LOT of pool time, but after calling every pool where I live, everyone said... uhh... uhhh... no we can't allow that due to insurance reasons... Even after explaining that I have DAN insurance, and that I would ok, they still didn't permit it.... so I am still trying, got a few pools that said I have to talk to the general manager, so I might do a meet in person, and politely ask, and see where I can get w/ that.

Find a friend with access to a pool. I've got a small one, but am too far away.

Bob

shops around here rarely have their own pools... so, a certified diver whom is "active" in the shop, might get to do some independent work quietly to one side while lessons are going on at the pool they use. In some cases, it might require a waiver.. It is all how you present yourself...

I'll be doing just that next week to trim out my new BP/W and get some rust out... Contacted an instructor / DM with whom (son and) I have dived before (IOW she is well familiar with our skill level), told her what we were looking to do, confirmed we were not looking for any time or attention, and she agreed to allow us to play for a few hours while she puts some DM candidates through their pool paces.

Try a Hotel/ Resort that has a pool. Befriend the Manager maybe they can help you out. I did this years ago to test some DIY gear.
I work at a Pool now so I get all the pool time I want ( some days more than I want).

Back
Top Bottom