How often do you get your regs serviced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In any case, &^%# him.

Yup that's exactly what I did when I sold all my big name regs and replaced them with products from a small start up.:D

Is that a yearly service you are doing to that poor truck? :wink:

What you are doing to that truck is the equivalent to what Scuba manufacturers are suggesting in order to keep the the parts for life thing. Granted regulators are extremely simple and most mechanics (even the low skilled/ low paid ones) can get away many times with tearing them apart and putting them back together. Most of the times they probably don't even do any damage, but why risk it.

Basic engineering/ mechanical principle:
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I don't "get my regs serviced" I service them my self when they need it. I have sold all my old regs and replaced with a brand that does not play games with replacement parts. The "free parts for life" is a line of BS the manufacturers have been giving us for years. If you don't believe me just go down to your local dive shop and ask for your free overhaul kit. I'm willing to bet that you come away empty handed. Free means free not free with a $90 service.

View attachment 178876

This was my typical work day for many years. It just pisses me off when a SCUBA manufacturer tells me I'm not capable of rebuilding a piece of equipment with less than a dozen parts.

Last edited:
Is that a yearly service you are doing to that poor truck? :wink:

No, 3K mile service:wink:. Actually that is what happens when you follow your oil life monitor but never actually check to see if you have any oil in the motor. Yes you can go 12K miles between oil changes but you better check your oil level regularly. And yes I totally agree "if it ain't broke din't fix it".

Yup that's exactly what I did when I sold all my big name regs and replaced them with products from a small start up.:D
most regs are made by seadivers tw.com most brands use the same reg just put different names on them they of course use the same parts google dive manufacturers Taiwan [all 5 of the main big guys own one sixth of seadivers supply tw]

Good thing people rent tanks because that tank I bought in 2007 and had "serviced" hasn't been "serviced" since. I just checked it in March of 2014 and the inspection sticker on it shows Feb 2007..... The only water it's ever seen was pool water while I was getting certified.

The air in it has been in there since summer 2007. Wonder it I should hook up and breathe that?

:D

most regs are made by seadivers tw.com most brands use the same reg just put different names on them they of course use the same parts google dive manufacturers Taiwan [all 5 of the main big guys own one sixth of seadivers supply tw]

I believe the company I was referring to uses Ocean divers supply out of Taiwan. They may be the same company as Seadivers who knows? It just means I'm getting the same reg but from a vendor that does not play games with it's part sales.

There can be a big difference between well reasoned policies backed by sound data and policies that evolve from a group of pseudo-experts whose primary motivation is CYA. If this annual service requirement were in the former category, don't you think it would be a fairly common requirement among most dive operations?

The AAUS sets the safety standards when diving at most universities in the US. The AAUS replaced OSHA that used to be the safety standard. After working closly with the AAUS manual it was clear that it was almost entirely created as a CYA guideline. Truth is, the universities really need this in order to know what standards have been used successfully all over the country. Having my reg overhauled annually didn't cost me but for the students it was part of a long list of gear and training requirements that cost them plenty. Adventure-Ocean

The AAUS sets the safety standards when diving at most universities in the US. The AAUS replaced OSHA that used to be the safety standard. After working closly with the AAUS manual it was clear that it was almost entirely created as a CYA guideline. Truth is, the universities really need this in order to know what standards have been used successfully all over the country. Having my reg overhauled annually didn't cost me but for the students it was part of a long list of gear and training requirements that cost them plenty. Adventure-Ocean

Interesting. I took a quick glance as I occasionally work as a volunteer diver for a local university that required me to take their "science diver" course and had never heard of AAUS. One catch is it seems to me it can be interpreted to only apply to "employees" and not students or volunteers.

A quote:
Scientific Diving Definition
Scientific diving is defined (29CFR1910.402) as diving performed solely as a necessary part of a
scientific, research, or educational activity by employees whose sole purpose for diving is to
perform scientific research tasks.

How often do you get your regs serviced?

i have a set I bought in 2010, they have probably done 100 dives at most. Should I get them checked out?

I have regs that I bought in the mid 70's I have never had them serviced - I still dive them today as a primary regulator and they still work fine. I am very careful to rinse after every dive - never missed a rinse. I have bought other regs and still do not get them serviced and they function fine as an octopus. I do not go below 130' ft and I am very good to my equipment. They have been very good back to me - keep them stored well and don't abuse them.
I also change my own oil and brakes in all my vehicles. If it is not broken - don't fix it...

If my regulator becomes life support for me, then I have screwed up. As long as I am diving with a good plan, the failure of my primary breathing gas system is an major inconvenience but hardly life threatening. I always (plan) have a backup breathing gas system reasonably available.

Would that back up system include another ("not life support") regulator?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom