What kind of dive traveler are you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've only been one place so far but in the future I would love to be one of the people who goes to a bunch of different places. That seems to me like to most fun. Although if you know you like a place i could see why going there every time would be good too. No disappointment

I don't fit either mold too much, but it would depend on the definition of destination.

I have gone to a place several times and dove it and then moved on. Cozumel is one example, after three trips that I enjoyed, I felt the need to move on. I have made a couple of trips to Presque Isle and sort of want to move on (in the Great Lakes), but there are a couple of wrecks there that I have dove multiple times and would like to do a couple more. But, I'd like to get to Lake Superior, too.

In FL I have gone to a few systems 2 or 3 times and then have moved on. But, some systems have so many places I haven't seen, that it's not like going back, really.

In general I think I like to dive a destination enough to really experience it, then find another destination.

How would the agent 'type' me?

I travel to a destination to dive and then move onto the next destination. Only two places so far have made me yearn for repeated trips - PNG and FP although I often dive closer areas in SEA multiple times at multiple different destinations.

I am a dive master and my wife won't go in the water but loves the beach, so we have an agreement that we travel to destinations where there is water. I usually dive 2-3 days a week, and we spend the rest of the time together. Worked good for 35 years so far!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've made trips to three warm water destinations, Cozumel, Anilao and Hawaii. I don't have any plans to return to any of those places, but my next trip is to Vancouver Island. If it is anything like I hope it is I would go back there many times.

I'm a Type 3. I keep going back to the caves, and I've also made several trips to Southern California, Monterey, and Browning Pass. I've done two trips to the Red Sea. But we also keep going to new places.

How many times I'll go back to the same one is really a function of how hard/expensive it is to get there, weighed against how good the experience is. I won't be going back to French Polynesia because the ratio is all wrong. I will be going back to the Philippines, because although it's distant and expensive, the diving was fabulous.

I'm a Type 3. I keep going back to the caves, and I've also made several trips to Southern California, Monterey, and Browning Pass. I've done two trips to the Red Sea. But we also keep going to new places.

How many times I'll go back to the same one is really a function of how hard/expensive it is to get there, weighed against how good the experience is. I won't be going back to French Polynesia because the ratio is all wrong. I will be going back to the Philippines, because although it's distant and expensive, the diving was fabulous.

So in French Polynesia the ratio is wrong because the diving is bad? or was it the expense?

Both. I'm fortunate enough to live less than 10 minutes from some of the best diving but I still make 2-3 trips a year to Cozumel to dive the caves there. I also travel to S. Florida a few times a year to dive. I do schedule at least one trip each year to a new location in the Caribbean but that's usually my week for real relaxation. We sight see and sleep on the beach a lot and only do a couple of days of diving while there. This year is Barbados.

There are two kinds of people in this world,
People that divide people into two groups,
and those who do not.

Are you gathering material for your next article Sinbad? Eh, what the beck, I'll play.

I'm a definite 3. Have my places I get homesick for ergo I'm compelled to return again and again , but also try to slip in new destinations . . .even to the point that some of them aren't even diving destinations. So little time, so much world to dive and see!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom