Need help planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks FJ. Not sure I can do all three in 2 days i.e. BHB, Jupiter and Boynton..Do i just drop Boynton? Looks like Jupiter Dive center is a no brainer..

I think Boynton might be a cheaper 2 tank dive charter, if that's a factor for you. I'm not 100% sure about that, but if I recall it's a little cheaper (based on research, not personal experience) than Jupiter is.

Some great ideas on Jupiter and Boynton. Do you guys think I should do these one day each and skip BHB? Also, is Jupiter considered more advanced drift diving? Will it be appropriate for someone new to drift?

Both are great dive areas. I'm partial to Jupiter but that is due, in part, to the fact that I live 10 minutes from Jupiter Dive Center's shop and they are a top notch dive operation. If your diving air, you'll be limited to 25 minutes on your first dive in Jupiter because of the depth and the need for at least a 60 minute surface interval. Boynton has some slightly shallower reefs and you might get a few extra minutes of dive time.

In my experience, the current can be similar in both areas so it is no more hard to dive in one location than the other, especially if you hire a guide. If you don't have a personal guide, Boynton can be a bit more complicated since you or your dive buddy will be responsuble for a reel and dive flag and if you've never managed holding a flag line, it can be a pia for a newer diver.

BHB is a wonderful dive site too, but if I only had 2 days and really wanted to see big things like goliath grouper, I'd personally stick with Boynton and Jupiter. Now if you like macro photography, don't pass up the bridge.

Last edited:
Both are great dive areas. I'm partial to Jupiter but that is due, in part, to the fact that I live 10 minutes from Jupiter Dive Center's shop and they are a top notch dive operation. If your diving air, you'll be limited to 25 minutes on your first dive in Jupiter because of the depth and the need for at least a 60 minute surface interval. Boynton has some slightly shallower reefs and you might get a few extra minutes of dive time.

In my experience, the current can be similar in both areas so it is no more hard to dive in one location than the other, especially if you hire a guide. If you don't have a personal guide, Boynton can be a bit more complicated since you or your dive buddy will be responsuble for a reel and dive flag and if you've never managed holding a flag line, it can be a pia for a newer diver.

BHB is a wonderful dive site too, but if I only had 2 days and really wanted to see big things like goliath grouper, I'd personally stick with Boynton and Jupiter. Now if you like macro photography, don't pass up the bridge.

I'm with sportxlh, both Jupiter and Boynton Beach are very good sites. Sportxlh is 10 min from Jupiter, I'm 5 min from Boynton. The currents in both locations can be very similar, from nothing to ripping.

I would give the nod to Boynton for the quality of the reef and number and diversity of reef fish. The average depth of the west facing reef is about 55 feet. At UE the dive is controlled by NDL and gas supply, most of my dives are around 75 minutes (I do take my own flag). The wreck of the Castor has a year around population of Goliath Grouper and is an incredible site during aggregation Aug/Sept.

I would give the nod to Jupiter for bigger stuff, Reef Sharks, Goliath Grouper. Turtles are about even. Dives on nitrox are limited to 45 min bottom time with JDC, policy, not related to NDL or gas supply. The average depth is 10-15 feet deeper than on the Boynton reef. They have larger capacity tanks if you need them, 100 cu ft steel, I believe 120s too. JDC does put a DM in on every dive and you can ascend with the DM. They do require you have a surface marker in case you ascend on your own.

Bottom line. I generally spend long weekends in FL. I often do the 3 tank dive with JDC on Friday and then spend my weekend diving with UE in Boynton Beach. You really can't go wrong.

Good diving, Craig

I am visiting Palm Beach for work in a couple of weeks and have a chance to go diving while I am there. I am looking for suggestions and need help planning.

Some details:
- Got certified in 2013, consider myself somewhat of a beginner even though i have my Advanced Open Water cert.
- Staying on Singer Island. Have 2 days for diving i.e. the 18th & 19th of March. Arriving at 9 AM on the 18th.
- Never been Drift Diving
- My biggest fear is being able to hold my safety stop
- Will bring my own gear except for the tank

Some thoughts:
- I'd love to dive Blue Heron Bridge, considering i will be staying a few minutes from there
- Any suggestions on Goliath Groupers, Manatees, etc?
- I am extremely interested in underwater photography

Please help. Thanks in advance.

If you are not arriving at Singer Island until 9 am on the 18 then it will be very difficult to catch a dive boat that day, even if you pick a dive operator in WPB. Your best chance that day may be the BHB where you will be able to get some great photos. The 19th will be your best bet for either JDC or Boynton plus the Bridge dive will give you a chance to get wet and reacquaint yourself with your gear before the deeper dives. A good idea if it's been awhile since your last dive.

If you are not arriving at Singer Island until 9 am on the 18 then it will be very difficult to catch a dive boat that day, even if you pick a dive operator in WPB. Your best chance that day may be the BHB where you will be able to get some great photos. The 19th will be your best bet for either JDC or Boynton plus the Bridge dive will give you a chance to get wet and reacquaint yourself with your gear before the deeper dives. A good idea if it's been awhile since your last dive.

I am planning on a guided dive at BHB with Jenny on the morning of the 18th. Will I be able to make the 1 PM dive with UE after that? Then I can do Jupiter the following day with JDC...thoughts?

I am planning on a guided dive at BHB with Jenny on the morning of the 18th. Will I be able to make the 1 PM dive with UE after that? Then I can do Jupiter the following day with JDC...thoughts?

Looks like slack high tide on the 18th is around 10:13 so you should be out of the water by 11 am. Say 30 minutes to breakdown, rinse and stow gear plus another 45 minutes or so to grab lunch. Then maybe 30 minutes to drive to Boynton? That puts you there around 12:45. Really pushing it. Most dive boats like you there 30 minutes ahead of time, especially if you are not familiar with them.

Jenny may be able to give you an ever better estimate of the feasibility of your plan. Maybe check with the dive boat as well. Some of them tend to run a little late with afternoon dives.

karannarang,

I would give Kevin Metz at UE a call regarding your plan for an afternoon dive on the 18th. He may not be going out afternoon, midweek, unless he has a couple other divers. If you plan to hire a guide, that may also play a role. JDC goes out only in the morning during the week

Enjoy your visit to SE FL

karannarang,

I would give Kevin Metz at UE a call regarding your plan for an afternoon dive on the 18th. He may not be going out afternoon, midweek, unless he has a couple other divers. If you plan to hire a guide, that may also play a role. JDC goes out only in the morning during the week

Enjoy your visit to SE FL

I called Kevin today. Seems like I will need one more diver to signup, else UE won't have the afternoon dive :( Keeping my fingers crossed.

I called Kevin today. Seems like I will need one more diver to signup, else UE won't have the afternoon dive :( Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sorry I can't join you but I'm flying back to Philadelphia on the 18th. You might try posting a new thread on this forum to try to locate a buddy, "Looking for a buddy to dive Boynton Beach March 18 PM"

Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom