Minimum Age to Begin Pro Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike.chuanshi

Contributor
Reaction score
Looking to get a little insight and advice from some seasoned dive pros on here:

I have a 15 y/o who is absolutely obsessed with the ocean, diving, and everything related to the two. She's already looking ahead toward college where she wants to focus on marine biology and oceanography, and thankfully has the grades, test scores, etc. to obtain some scholarships. During the summer months, she would like to work as a DM or AI (obviously the scholarships and college fund will pay the tuition, not the money earned diving), and would like to start working toward that goal ASAP.

PADI says that she can't even get the DM books until she's 18, and I'm wondering if this is the case across the board. If she cannot start formal DM training, what (besides diving, diving, and then diving some more) what would be some good preparatory materials/activities for her?

going through the life guard training program wouldn't hurt. Target getting some of the Specializations now might also help round out her skills prior to running through the DM program.

NAUI says 18 as well. Probably going to be the same for most agencies since they have to enter into agreements with the agency in order to get a leadership status and it gets into iffy territory legally when you have a minor signing the agreement.

You don't say in the first post but if she doesn't already have it she needs her Advavced OW and Rescue. I would also make sure she has nitrox, photo/video (skills, classes only if she needs it). Have her try to work part time at a dive shop now and if she can start logging boat time as crew. There are a lot of DM's in Hawaii she needs to have some extra skills to get hired as a DM

She can read the DM materials and can probably volunteer to work with classes until she's old enough. There are LOTS of books that will help her learn what she needs to know and more, and reading isn't age limited :)

going through the life guard training program wouldn't hurt. Target getting some of the Specializations now might also help round out her skills prior to running through the DM program.

Excellent suggestion! Thanks!

---------- Post added March 5th, 2014 at 06:23 PM ----------
If she's looking to work in Marine Biology her focus probably shouldn't be PADI but AAUS. She'll need their certification to do any sort of scientific research diving most likely. American Academy of Underwater Sciences

And there's: Scholarships - American Academy of Underwater Sciences

This is definitely something to look into - it seems like AAUS has many resources available which may be very helpful.
The scholarships seem to be mostly for graduate students, but that day isn't too far off.

---------- Post added March 5th, 2014 at 06:37 PM ----------

You don't say in the first post but if she doesn't already have it she needs her Advavced OW and Rescue. I would also make sure she has nitrox, photo/video (skills, classes only if she needs it). Have her try to work part time at a dive shop now and if she can start logging boat time as crew. There are a lot of DM's in Hawaii she needs to have some extra skills to get hired as a DM

AOW, Rescue, MSD, EFR, Emer. 02, Nitrox, Night, PPB, S&R, and some distinctive specialties that are in line with her interests. Deep and Wreck are coming up. (I couldn't even mention these in the past without getting a death stare and the silent treatment; the level of resentment toward the under 15 restrictions was beyond words...)

She is working on engineering a deep sea photo/video ROV for a research project that will be presented in Kyoto in November (they've found a few new species of sea life). This has served as a great introduction to UW photo/video.

Gaining some on-the-job training is a great idea. We'll have to ask a few questions about this.

---------- Post added March 5th, 2014 at 06:46 PM ----------

TC:
NAUI says 18 as well. Probably going to be the same for most agencies since they have to enter into agreements with the agency in order to get a leadership status and it gets into iffy territory legally when you have a minor signing the agreement.

True - I can see why they would be a little reluctant about this. This has proved problematic in attempts for getting age waivers for some courses also.

---------- Post added March 5th, 2014 at 06:50 PM ----------

She can read the DM materials and can probably volunteer to work with classes until she's old enough. There are LOTS of books that will help her learn what she needs to know and more, and reading isn't age limited :)

I asked for some recommendations for books in a previous thread and ordered up a bunch of them - she is currently devouring them.
I'm definitely going to ask our instructor about her volunteering during some classes.

Last edited:
I'd buy her the college textbooks for marine biology and such and have her talk to her guidance counselor. I had one college text that was a marine biology coloring book. (I guess college kids like to color :))

NAUI has specialty courses that can be customized for Underwater Environment, Underwater Ecology (coral or kelp), Underwater Archaeology.

Catalina Island Marine Institute (CIMI) in California has great summer camp for kids that is marine biology oriented. Seacamp in the Florida Keys and Seatrek sailing the BVI's would have great programs for kids aiming in that career path.

Women Diver's Hall of Fame should also have some scholarships that she can apply for training.

TC:
You might want to see if reefcheck has any programs offered in your area, looks like the minimum age to participate is 12.

EcoDiver Courses and Products

Thanks. I looked over the website and agree that this could be a very educational and interesting program to be involved in. I sent an e-mail asking about how to obtain certification in our area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom