Small backup depth guage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldschool

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been looking for a small depth gauge that I can keep in my bc pocket as a backup to my computer. When I say small, I mean something smaller than the typical gauge found in a console that would take up less space in a pocket. I am not interested in purchasing another dive watch with built in depth gauge and am searching for a less expensive solution. Any suggestions are appreciated.

although not smaller than a typical gauge, you could knot the line every 5' on a spool and attach it to an SMB. If your computer fails you should be ending the dive anyway, so shoot the smb and you can manage your ascent rate and stops by counting in your head.

Another alternative is to use your buddy's

I have a reel that is knotted to indicate depths in 10 ft increments from 70ft. I can feel the knots in the line and use them as indicators to depth. I have even practiced deco stops using the line to simulate double computer failure. Should never happen but it is always better to have practiced anything you may need to accomplish..

99% of backup depth gauges are bottom timers ,dive watches or second computers.

if you want to join the other 1% you will need a small foam bullet.
the deeper you go the smaller it gets-with practice you can judge depth to within 20% of actual depth.

a B.U.D. would run you $150ish.... there are also some cheap freedive watches (Pyle).....

Question: When you say back-up, do you mean in water failure, or something like a data logger to use on the surface? Depth gauge is useless without some form of timer/watch. What are you currently doing for that?

There are also single depth gauges (wrist mounted) that are essentially the normal gauge used in a console but put in a wrist mount...

a B.U.D. would run you $150ish.... there are also some cheap freedive watches (Pyle).....

Question: When you say back-up, do you mean in water failure, or something like a data logger to use on the surface? Depth gauge is useless without some form of timer/watch. What are you currently doing for that?

There are also single depth gauges (wrist mounted) that are essentially the normal gauge used in a console but put in a wrist mount...

In the event of failure. I dive with a casio. Currently my computer and compass or wrist worn. I'd prefer not adding another wrist worn gauge.

For about $50 you can get one of these: XS Scuba Depth Gauge Module Only at LeisurePro

I understand that it is larger than you might have wanted, but if you do not want something on your wrist, this might be an affordable and not-too-big option for a "real" depth gauge.

Best wishes.

Well, I went to my local Home Depot this morning with my depth gauge. I found a 2" dia. rubber end cap in the plumbing section that fits around the gauge like a glove. I drilled four holes in the top of the cap (the bottom when slipped on the gauge) and two sets of holes on the side which I threaded a couple of zip ties through to attach a brass clip. It is a bit larger than I initially wanted, but for an investment of less than $5.00, I'm pleased with it. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom