Considering learning Scuba diving at 50 years old am I insane?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EdwardMH

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all new to the forum and the world of Scuba, I am a 100% disabled (PTSD) Veteran in Springfield, Mo. who can swim just enough to not drown and takes 3 times the effort of decent swimmers to swim forward LOL I am strongly considering taking scuba lessons for exercise and PTSD/Stress relief is this a good idea? What can I look forward to in learning. I am hoping to learn for under photography, metal detecting and fun. I am a slow learner due to my PTSD but once a concept locks into my mind I tend to remember it (Just takes longer than some folks). How much money am I looking at for gear? above the beginner basic stuff I tend to try to by stuff I can grow/learn into rather than constantly upgrade as I learn. what books, video, magazines, websites ect. should I look at? computer or ipad software that will be useful etc.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

EdwardMH

Hi all new to the forum and the world of Scuba, I am a 100% disabled (PTSD) Veteran in Springfield, Mo. who can swim just enough to not drown and takes 3 times the effort of decent swimmers to swim forward LOL I am strongly considering taking scuba lessons for exercise and PTSD/Stress relief is this a good idea? What can I look forward to in learning. I am hoping to learn for under photography, metal detecting and fun. I am a slow learner due to my PTSD but once a concept locks into my mind I tend to remember it (Just takes longer than some folks). How much money am I looking at for gear? above the beginner basic stuff I tend to try to by stuff I can grow/learn into rather than constantly upgrade as I learn. what books, video, magazines, websites ect. should I look at? computer or ipad software that will be useful etc.

EdwardMH

You're not insane. Most of us here are around the 50 year mark +/- 10 years. SCUBA is pretty much nothing like what you see in the movies.

You're also not the only PTSD vet who dives/wants to dive. Oddly enough, they tend to like a hobby where everything is slow and quiet and you can float weightlessly and nobody is shooting or blowing things up. :D

Check out these guys. I'm sure there's a similar project near you if you want it. Otherwise, just find a really patient instructor who will go at your pace.

Gear runs between $0 and $3000 on average. I got mine for free from a nice old guy who had to stop diving. I'd be willing to bet that if you asked around, that some of your buddy's parents have gear they would give you for cheap or free.

All SCUBA gear needs periodic service, so whether you buy new or used, you'll end up coughing up maybe $100/year to have it checked/rebuilt. The interval changes according to your personal philosophy and the gear's internal design, but eventually, it all needs work, so that's an unavoidable cost.

flots

I am going to do a blatant self promotion and advise you to pick up a copy of my book from Amazon. It will answer a lot of your questions in detail. There's a link in my signature line.
Briefly can you do what you want to do with Scuba? Yes, with some caveats. Your doctor will have to sign off on your training. I would advise you to contact the wounded warrior program or Dive Heart for more info on those lines. Not all docs are familiar with scuba and some will not want the liability signing off may present to them.
Being a wounded vet you may be able to get some help with classes and gear. I give discounts on gear to all military. Active and retired on classes, gear, etc.
Your basic gear that you'll need to start out with is a mask, snorkel, fins, and boots. You can put together a complete set of good quality stuff - new- for as little as $100.00 and as much as your wallet is willing to tolerate. Or whatever your VISA limit is. Once you are certed you can rent the scuba gear - tank, regs,bc, etc.
Should you choose to buy all your own stuff, again what is your budget. You can get a complete set of gear for well under a thousand for good quality high performance stuff on up as much as several thousand for more bling but not necessarily more performance.

EdwardMH

This is for guys like you....Vets....
[video=youtube_share;XvYRHvGkqKM]http://youtu.be/XvYRHvGkqKM[/video]

I agree go for it. You are definitely not too old, I was 61 when I started diving and at 67 I am getting my Dive Master Certification. Definitely, check with Wounded Warrier. I feel sure they can point you in the right direction.

In the meantime, hang out here. Read and ask questions. Thanks for your service.

EdwardMH

Your age is not a problem in the least.

I would recommend going to a dive shop near you and trying it in the pool before you spend any amount of money on it. You may like it but there's only one good way to find out... :)

good luck.

R..

Operation Blue Pride: THAT! Is AWSOME!

---------- Post added March 7th, 2014 at 06:08 PM ----------

I am going to go to DiVentures in Springfield, Mo. They told me about Dive Pirates for Veterans with mobility issues but they are for amputees and wheelchair bound Veterans and I am neither I have balance issues but can get around with out much aid though I do have a Service Dog for my PTSD and Balance. I am 100% Service Connected but not Combat Related on my Disability.

Welcome to SCUBAboard!

I would recommend getting your Doc's OK to dive first. After given the medical OK, then give it a try.

Good Luck & Good Diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom