Dive Computer for new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StevieSpin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi there

I'm newly OW certified and starting AOW. I wanted to get a wrist dive computer that is good for someone new but will still be good as I get more experience.

I def like the idea of USB download to computer. A compass sounds nice but not sure what's realistic without making it very expensive.

Any advice?

thanks for any info!
steve

Zoop is always a good computer I think....simple and easy to use and you can download to a computer via USB if you want

Mares puck is reasonable priced and will do EAN to 50%

I also recently picked up an Aladin 2G with DSS Bungee mount and original wrist mount. Also came with USB infared for dive transfer. It does EAN to 100%. Picked that up here for $150. Either one will meet your needs for a long time.

Reactions: Jax
My first is the Suunto ZOOP. I also have a Aladin 2G I like but I like the Zoop software better.

The Zoop is good, but I prefer simple operation over everything else. Can't really go wrong with an Oceanic Veo 3.0...or even simpler an Oceanic 100 Nx.

I'm a Suunto guy, so zoop is good if you want cheap. If you want to go stylish and have room to grow then a D4i or D6i is a great option. I have the D6i and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With any wrist computer, find out whether you can change the battery yourself, or need a dealer to do it.

I, too, value PC download capability.

A key issue is what you mean by good for someone new? Do you mean cheap, or do you mean an intuitive interface?

1'rst, let's get one big, big question out of the way; do you want wireless AI (air-integrated), or not? It costs a good bit more, but you can see your gas pressure by glancing at your wrist, which you do anyway for depth, maximizing the benefit of using a wrist computer. The transmitters usually work well; occasionally one briefly loses signal. As a back-up, some people also have an analog SPG on their reg., so if the transmitter crapped out, no biggie.

Now, interface. Some computers have an interface that's bad with a manual that's awful. DiveNav offers online courses that are well-regarded, and some computers come with a free course there. If you are very good at retaining info., or use it often enough to stay in practice, or are just technically minded, that may be all you need.

I'm telling you an intuitive interface is magic. Amongst consoles, it has given a lot of mind share to the Atomic Aquatics Cobalt.

If I were buying a wrist computer, AI, with an interface that from what I've read might be intuitive (I've not used one as yet), I'd take a look at the LiquiVision Lynx. You are going to get some sticker shock. But you will get a computer that can help you locate your buddy if you get separated, & they have the same setup.

Enhanced usability via good interface is a big, big deal for some of us.

While Suunto is popular, it is also known for a conservative algorithm that can cut bottom time short. Depending on who you ask, this is either trivial and overblown, or will tick off your dive buddies using more liberal computers like Oceanics. Do a forum search and read over some threads where this is hotly debated, and decide for yourself.

Richard.

You could go here and see what is around and make comparisons. Dive Computer Training You can also take online courses to learn what your computer is telling you. You could ask DiveNav about the courses. He can help you out with that.

I think if you buy a new Oceanic computer the course comes with it, or at least it used to. I took to course and learned a lot. He has courses for other computers too.

Back
Top Bottom