Key Largo Rainbow Reef Dives VS. Pirate Island Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guard Tiffany

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking at a trip for early May of next year. Hubby & I will be getting certified next month. Was considering Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort which has a diving package with Pirate Island Divers. Also had recommendations for Rainbow Reef Dives which has packages with Courtyard By Marriott. Hubby is VERY picky about where we stay & I don't see that the Courtyard has a beach & it has gotten some not so great reviews. He wants to use a dive center that is close to our resort so he can catch a nap between dives & without driving. So, I guess my question is this; are Pirate island Divers as good as Rainbow Reef? I'm thinking The Bay Marriott is more what hubby will be happy with. If anyone has opinions or other ideas I'd love to hear them.

When I stayed at Courtyard by Marriott, Rainbow Reef Dive Center's location was at the end of the parking lot. But no beach. My wife was disappointed. Imagine a typical suburb. Instead of streets dissecting the blocks, imagine canals have been cut through, serve like suburban streets, and if you walk to the edge of the 'side-walk,' so to speak, it's about a 2 or 3 foot vertical drop to the water.

Not a tapering sandy beach.

I was later told that if I'd wanted to find a family beach type setup, I should've headed down to Marathon, I think it was.

That was just my experience from one trip, but there it is.

Richard.

He won't be able to catch much of a nap between dives. Usually there is just enough time to grab a sandwich.

He won't be able to catch much of a nap between dives. Usually there is just enough time to grab a sandwich.
Unless he does the morning trip and then a night dive trip, I would agree/concur with Herb.
No nappie time.
Barely enough time to rinse off, choke down a sandwich, and grab fresh tanks typically.
the boats in the Keys, "Turn & Burn".
As far as sandy beaches in The Keys, they are small, man made, and very shallow.

Chug
Been there, done that, will do it again.

Yeah, my typical day diving with Rainbow Reef involved going out on a 2-tank boat trip in the morning, getting back, having somewhere around 40 minutes to an hour before the next 2-tank boat trip, and dashing back to the hotel room for a sandwich and chips or some such.

That was diving 4 times per day, 5 days running. And I was glad to get to dive with an operation that offered that option.

Richard.

Stayed at the Marriott in 2009 and dove with "It's A Dive" now called "Pirate Island Divers". As others have said there is about an hour turn around between the morning and afternoon dives. It was convenient to have the room on property. No beach though. Pack a pic-nic cooler and leave it inside your room for a quick meal between. Be sure to hydrate on water. I would check ahead about night dives. Sometimes they wont go out if there is not enough people. There are places to off gas with a cold one and bite to eat after the days diving was done. They love their Key Lime pie down there. Would go again anytime. Safe Trip..

Hmmm, according to the marriott bay website they do have a beach. I'll second check to make sure. No beach will be a deal breaker for hubby. Is there a place close we can eat a salad and some fruit between dives? Hubby doesn't want to drive so it'll have to be within walking distance. Not sure he's wanting to do many two trip dive days, (I'm looking at the 5 dive package), we may end up doing that just one day and then the other three dives be one each day. He doesn't seem the least bit interested in the night dives. I guess the weather and his mood will be the determining factors. Having such a picky vacationer makes planning a challenge. I appreciate everyone's help!

Marriott Bay definitely has a beach - was there over the summer. You can see it on their webcam

Key Largo Bay Marriott Beach Resort - Live Webcam (take control and select one of the beach presets)

As someone mentioned above, It is shallow, but deep enough to get wet and snorkel.

I can't speak to the dive op on site though - we used on down the road a mile or two. I would happily stay at the Marriott Bay again (and probably will)

--this would get much better attention in the Florida Subforum: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/florida-diving/

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom