Dive Computer for new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was in your shoes I went with a Suunto Vyper for a number of reasons one being it was available. But it was USB downloadable, user replaceable battery and it had a backlight. Knowing I planned to do a night dive the back light was a must. IIRC the zoop doesn't have a back light. I'm not a big fan of digital compasses so I have a standard one on my console and a standard one on my wrist. If cash is a concern compasses add to the cost but you can also consider getting a standard wrist compass.

Thanks for all the great info!

I think I've decided on the D4i. Do you really need to buy their USB connection kit or can you use cables you already own? I work in tech and have an extensive inventory of cables but not sure if they use something proprietary and require their kit be purchased.

thanks!

You can get a Shearwater Petrel and never have to buy another dive computer again unless it breaks. :)

My only computer was (is) the old mares M2. I haven't yet used it for nitrox but will tomorrow. It was difficult for me to figure out how to set it fot that. The instructions seemed to leave out a step. Then again I hate all "instructions" for electronic gadgets today. I would ASSUME this is a very simple device for a normal 21st century person. No problem before-- using air--put in the batteries and look at it. Of course, I always take to old watch and analog depth gauge as well.

I have mixed opinions on this bt here it goes. All computers are basically the same. the differences lies in the display and the controls. I have had now 4 computers and the first 3 were basically useless to me cause i needed a book everytime i used them. the display was ok,small but ok, but to do a gas change i had to get the book. lets see is it press 2 buttons on one and it is the right and middle ot the left and middle, ect. If you cant navagate through the computer or your type of diving then you are paying too much. I had a friend talk me into a sherewater preditor. Yes i now its expensive however it is colored display and a big one at that. it has 2 buttons, a scroll function and a button for select function. After the frst time using it i never needed the book again til i upgraded software. No crime in that. So my point it if you are going to spend 6oo for a computer and can use only 10% of it reliably then you payed 90% too much. Now if you spent a thousand and you can use 90% of it then you only overspent by 10%. If you,,, over the next few years upgrade to other cmputers then you WILL have well over 1000$ by the time you THINK you are done. I dont think i will ever upgrade from my preditor. The petral is a good choice also. Its only drawback is that the display is light sensitive. That is under your control.

Regards

do you approve of the D4i?

I have mixed opinions on this bt here it goes. All computers are basically the same. the differences lies in the display and the controls. I have had now 4 computers and the first 3 were basically useless to me cause i needed a book everytime i used them. the display was ok,small but ok, but to do a gas change i had to get the book. lets see is it press 2 buttons on one and it is the right and middle ot the left and middle, ect. If you cant navagate through the computer or your type of diving then you are paying too much. I had a friend talk me into a sherewater preditor. Yes i now its expensive however it is colored display and a big one at that. it has 2 buttons, a scroll function and a button for select function. After the frst time using it i never needed the book again til i upgraded software. No crime in that. So my point it if you are going to spend 6oo for a computer and can use only 10% of it reliably then you payed 90% too much. Now if you spent a thousand and you can use 90% of it then you only overspent by 10%. If you,,, over the next few years upgrade to other cmputers then you WILL have well over 1000$ by the time you THINK you are done. I dont think i will ever upgrade from my preditor. The petral is a good choice also. Its only drawback is that the display is light sensitive. That is under your control.

Regards

D4i is not a dive computer.
I would reather spend the money on a Leonardo/Puck Pro/Zoop + analogue compass, probably with enough change for a quality smb/air horn.

that goes against the majority of the advice i've been given

I would reather spend the money on a Leonardo/Puck Pro/Zoop + analogue compass, probably with enough change for a quality smb/air horn.

Had a computer for a while with a compass. Never used it. Much prefered to use the compass on my consule. Easier to read. I frequently use a compass and found it much easier to read a nice physical compass as opposed to a digital one.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Centrals

Yes, yes it is!

My first CPU was a Suunto Gecko - which dont exist anymore, but the Zoop is pretty much identical. I'm a fan of Suuntos, easy to read, adjust and very user friendly in general. If you have a little more cash to splurge think about the D4i. I have one now, and it really IS a dive computer, not sure why Centrals thinks it isn't? Most of our teaching staff also use the D4i, although some have Zoops and D6i's.

Neither the Zoop or the D4i have integrated compass, only the D6i upwards. And to be honest, having trialed one of each for a while you are better off on analogue - the D6 and D9 ones were both a pain in the ass to calibrate and use underwater!

Good luck and happy diving :)

Back
Top Bottom