Dive Computer for new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is your budget? Consider used? You can get a lot of bang for your buck in the used market.... so, if I may:

I have a Sunnto D9 for sale (ad is in the classified section).
- Air integrated
- Air/Nitrox/guage modes
- gas switching (3 gasses)
- integrated compass
- even tells time

I know nothing about the model you specifically mention. Nor was it my intent to bash any other model of computer. My point is to find one you can use with all the controls necessay for your type of diving. Any uit will do air diving, sio you dont have to spend a lot to get the electronic time and depth readouts. However if youare going to use nitrox you need to without looking be able to set your computer for 31% when ou thought you got 32% to do thigs right. Deco gas changes are even more critical to do in a timely manor. Many long time divers have become one with thier computers and i dont knock tham for having them. Face it what works is what you shold use. From the aspect of a new diver, not only the simpler the operaton of the computer the better. The more of it you will use adn make a better diver of yourself. Many computers are cool looking but one morning you wake p and accept you cant see that 1.5" face of the watch and you will need another ad having to lern a new complex menu system will be difficult. I have had 3 aeris and have tried to help others with thier computer's with 3 and 4 buttons on them and it is not an easy task. They also hand me a book to figure it out. With my preditor the left button scrolls through the manu. like plan, select gas, setup, ect. the right button selects teh optiion. So for instance i left button through the rotating manu to select gas. Press right button and the gas mixes available appear i left button scroll through the available gasses till i find the one i want and i right click it and it is done. You can even do it narced, it is that easy.

do you approve of the D4i?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Centrals

D4i is not a dive computer.

Yes, yes it is!
It is a watch with diving capabilities ie can be used as a dive computer!!
Killing two birds with one stone? I am not convinced but others have different ideas! I would rather have a dedicated dive computer and a watch. Keep it super simple.

I have a D4i, and use it as my primary computer. Whether it is considered a dive computer or not, I am happy with it. I am a photographer, and I can wear it on my right, inside wrist so critical info is always in view when I hold the camera with both hands. I do have air integration on my D4i- an earlier comment was incorrect. The earlier Suunto D4 (vs. D4i) did not have integration. I also download all my dives to my computer.

Our shop sells Suunto, so most of us have one flavor or another.

I have to say, the interface on the D41, D6i and D9 are 4 button, which is much easier to use. It is the same interface as the cobra 2. The Zoop, which our students use, and the Cobra, use a 3 button system which I find clumsy. It is easy enough when you get use to it, but is not as "common sense" as the 4 button.

I am not a fan of in computer compasses, and most that I know that have them stopped using them. In the Suunto "D" line, this is the D6i and D9. The D4i suffices for recreational diving- if I were to get into tech diving, I personally would move to a wrist panel like a Shearwater or Liquidvision, as opposed to a D9- but that is strictly a personal opinion. Know many tech divers that use a D9 and love them.

In respect to Suunto being conservative, it is a comment I have always heard. Two weeks ago, I spent a week diving in Key Largo, where due to deep dives NDLs control long before running out of air [except for my buddy ;-)]. I dove with a new group, and the "conservative" conversation occurred in a very good natured way. It happens we were all diving different brands. In an unscientific, but conscious manner, we compared timing for each pair of buddies for the week, looking at pre-planning routines before the dives, and what happened during the dive. As for the Suunto, in preplanning it was very punishing if you had less than a 60 minute surface interval. Since we did a number of 100+ double dips, this was important. But after the 60 minute SI, and in actual use, the Suunto appeared to be in the middle of the pack. My buddy had a Mares something or other, and during the dive I typically had a few more minutes of NDL time than he did, and I was typically a few feet deeper (he also had air issues so stayed shallower). We did also check and everyone was using their computers in the Neutral position- in other words, they were not set to make the algorithms more aggressive or conservative. I have forgotten all the computer types, but if IIRC, the Shearwater and the Oceanics we slightly more aggressive, but not terribly so. But remember, this was not scientific, and only over a week.

In the end, I am an older diver, so I have no problem with a slightly more conservative algorithm. Better to dive a 2 minute shorter dive, and live to dive another day-as long as I get a 1 hour SI.

Your mileage will definitely differ!

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom