Inflatable boat towing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaShan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just curious have any of you launched an inflatable boat with a buddy to dive from and if so did you tow it with a rope line or anchor it?

I have a 14 foot inflatable I used to dive with extensively. I used at first a 25 horse and then later a 35 horse engine. The boat was really too heavy to tow but in drift conditions I would just carry the anchor. I tow my kayak however, the boat, not really. If there is any wind or current or wave and it is going somewhere other than your intended direction, you will go with the boat, you will not tow it.

N

My ground tackle is pretty heavy, and even still I have to make sure the hook is properly set, or it will drag. Point being there is no possible way to drag the boat, as it will drag you. If the current is up, we call the dive, and of course always dive up current even if it is light.

I anchor it and set it upon getting to the bottom and sometimes set a screw attached to the anchor into the bottom just like I do when I tie up on a beach. It really sucks when you return and can not find the anchor or the boat. I have a 18' zodiac and dive it every week. I have found that talking someone that wans to sunbathe or fish is a plus so if we surface and need help she can bring the boat to us.

I dive solo a lot and because of that I started in a few places of adding the screw since the bottom was hard or the sea state was rough and tended to pull the anchor out. Then you have to follow the tracks in the bottom for your boat.

What about dropping an anchor and setting up a reel with rope so you can get back to the anchor? Is that a possibility? There's a few spots i like but the trek down these paths are a pain we could easily launch from a beach next to the spot and boat to the hard to reach area, that's my goal anyway.

What about dropping an anchor and setting up a reel with rope so you can get back to the anchor? Is that a possibility? There's a few spots i like but the trek down these paths are a pain we could easily launch from a beach next to the spot and boat to the hard to reach area, that's my goal anyway.

I would not advise that approach - if the anchor loses grip you and the anchor will be taken for a ride. Tie off close to the anchor but not to the anchor as a safety precaution. Best way is to leave a person on the boat/craft when you are below.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom