I am looking for help and advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To OP this is where I trained back in the 80s

I don't work commercially anymore and dive for fun.

Hi Gill,

We are a dive centre and activity centre (rock climbing, abseiling, cliff jumping and watersports) based on Koh Tao. There are a few centres here that offer the zero to hero programme, and a couple that do DM internships. To be honest we have mixed feelings about both of these. What is best for you really depends on your motivations for doing these courses. Some people do it just for fun, others as a personal development activity, or just to give their cv a bit more worth rather than just having gone 'backpacking' or on a 'finding myself' mission for a while. Most of these have little or no interest in actually working as a divemaster, which in the nicest possible way is probably just as well, as learning in this style does nothing to develop the breadth of skills you should ideallyhave to work as a DM, or progress to instructor. You said in your message you wanted 'the best chance and the best education', so just being honest about the chances of getting that if you learn quickly, or on an interning for free basis.

If you do go for a free internship, you definitely need to find out exactly what is expected of you before you commit to any internship:
Daily tasks
Daily hours
Days off?
Contract? Some internship programmes expect a minimum time commitment after you are certified to pay back your training costs. Depending on the workload and your expenses for living, eating etc this can work out more expensive that just paying for your course in the first place!

And what you will get out of it:
Any paid work after?
Quality of training - time with instructors, feedback & mentorship etc
Accom - location, quality, amenities, shared/private
Food - how many meals, type of food etc. Free meals is all very well, but st some staff canteens we've seen the food has been horrendous. Which means you spend even more sourcing your own.

Depending on the answers to all of the above, you may want to consider the traditional payment method of getting your DM if its feasible, and setting aside more time - and budget - for your training to make sure it is as thorough as possible. You are likely to get a much higher level of training, information and feedback this way to help you become a better DM. And start getting paid work right after, therefore saving on outgoings while working to pay the internship company back for your training. It may not always be the case, we're sure there are some great internship programmes out there where you learn a lot, but you are likely to get much more out of the course where the instructors training you are being paid to pass on their knowledge and expertise, rather than working for free as it saves the business spending money on someone who's already qualified. Just something to think about...Interning after completion of DM though, is totally worth it in terms of getting on the job feedback and mentorring from an instructor. The best instructors are always those who have worked as DM's first.

With regards to your timescale, yes May is still quiet here. But you should take at the very least a few months do do OW-DM, so put aside any thoughts of working right away upon arrival. In terms of finding a dive centre,
every one will offer a range of different options starting from the basic courses you need, and some options with add ons like a set of equipment, accommodation included, specialty courses etc To be honest as you are investing so much time - and money - into this venture, I wouldn't worry about organising too much this far ahead of time. Why not make a shortlist (reviews on trip advisor can help with that - Ko Tao Activities - TripAdvisor) and visit them on arrival to check them out properly. If everything does work out for you, you'll be spending a lot of time with the centre you end up choosing, so its important to make sure you like the business, the staff, have potential opportunities for employment afterwards, and generally feel comfortable there..

In terms of Language and boat handling skills, for sure those will definitely be a bonus, so you should absolutely continue to look into those.

Good luck in whatever training you decide to do, and enjoy your journey to pro level. But do take it slow, and make the most of every opportunity to learn more.

Happy diving :)

Here is my advice to gill-ross. Find a place you love that has good diving, at least three dive shops, and that offers training through instructor. Sign up for certification with one of the shops, and learn to dive. Hang around the shop and let them know you are willing to work, doing anything, from cleaning the bathrooms to loading tanks on a boat. While working, progress through advanced and rescue classes, and spend time hanging out with the equipment servicing and repair guys and learn all you can about that aspect of the business. In the meantime become familiar with the different types of equipment and the unique aspects of each. On the side, learn a second language, so you can be of use in two languages with customers. When you are ready, begin divemaster training, perhaps trading work for the materials and training. Once certified as a DM, volunteer to do scuba reviews and assist with classes. ( no pay). Learn from instructors, develop you skills, and then do the idc. In the meantime, you may have worked yourself in to leading a few tourist dives as an insured and on-staff DM. Be on time for everything, work at getting better in your craft everyday, and be willing to do any job needed. Three years from know you may well be a salty local character, beloved by all, who is actually making a living as a dive instructor/DM/equipment repairman/janitor/boat hand.
DIvemasterDennis

It sounds like I'm just leaving the life you want to have. I was trained up to DM and I have my 100 ton USCG captains license. I lived on a pacific island and I made the ocean my life. If you just think it all sounds good you might just stick your toe in and not jump all the way. Get the OW and go diving. Go to places you might enjoy calling home. If you want warm waters I'd recommend the islands. There are many. Like any industry you work from the bottom up. Once you get your OW you might want to study for a 6 passenger captains license. If you get it you could start taking small charters.

Boating and diving for a living has been a great life that I can easily recommend to others though there are down sides to everything and this industry has plenty. Difficult customers, bad weather or rough seas, the tourist industry is a daily demand for service, and lastly I can say it is not super high paying employment. There are many other issues in the water world but if you are truly into it you'll figure them out and go forward.

If you have a passion for this life, go for it, you can always change your mind. If you complete dive certification classes you will have the knowledge all your life even if you chose a different path for employment. If you train to get your captains license you will be a safer boater all your life. These are great benifits you can get even if the business part doesn't work out.

Good luck.... Adventure-Ocean

Thanks everyone for you input has given me a lot to think about!
Anyone heard anything of dressel divers? Had a look into there intern programme and seems to care abit more about your education... Also mermaids in pattaya? Initially put off by the area but heard good things..
Again any input greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom