Gear for New Wrecker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My sincere advice is to seek out learned divers in your area that are doing what you want to do. Get properly trained for what you want to do as well. True wreck diving can be a deceptively dangerous activity and need someone that has been there and done that. I dive the wrecks off of the New Jersey region mostly, which are largely comprised of large busted up junk piles in deeper and colder water. There are a few that offer some challenging penetrations and if you do not know what you are doing you won't last long.

When gearing up for Wreck diving the additional equipment needs to be planned for, kept simple and streamlined and accessible. While there are some similarities, wrecks are not steel caves and open ocean wreck diving is a very dynamic environment. One of the common mistakes I see in this area is folks with a SMB attached to a small finger spool with 50'-75' of line. That might be nice for a drifting along safety stop in Cozumel, but will have disastrous results off Jersey.

Find an experienced mentor and get in the water.

And for the record - broco torches are a LOT of fun underwater. IJS

I use stiff fins (XS Scuba Turtles) for NE wreck diving, and find that they are slightly heavier than standard lightweight fins. This can be a small advantage in avoiding an inversion when using a drysuit. Without the heavier fins I would need ankle weights when diving dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom