Boynton Beach Accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great job, Kev.

Accidents happen. Many are diver error. Hopefully survivors & those who read about these incidents learn from them. Thanks to well-trained experience crews, there are fewer tragedies. Working on a dive boat is alot harder than it looks. There's more to it than just driving the boat or having divers follow you around.

My boat.

Diver went out of air on the Castor. His buddy gave him his alternate, victim panicked and lost consciousness underwater, buddy brought him to the surface. We brought the diver onto the boat, unresponsive, not breathing, no pulse. We performed CPR, he regained consciousness. Put him on O2 and got him to EMS. Looks like hes gonna be okay.
Good job for the crew and the buddy. :thumb:

I am curious, if you know, how he lost consciousness while on the buddy's alternate - or did he lose it in the panic and drown? I've read that wreck sits in 110 feet. Two divers sharing an 80 wouldn't have much time to play with. It amazes me how many amateurs like me dive that deep without ponies.

He owes his buddy and the crew steak, lobster and drinks...!! :crafty:

Unless the Capt. of the Explorer had his divers in surf, I'm not sure a wave would be the culprit. Perhaps the OP could post on the occurance. It was pretty snotty yesterday and the rough conditions on the outgoing afternoon tide kept us in Lake Boca yesterday

Taken from the other thread where you were criticizing this operator...
...there is nothing difficult nor technical from the Captains perspective. He merely needed to sit on top of the wreck...

I think it is a good thing to know the safety record of a vessel should I choose to put my life in their hands.

So, have you changed your mind yet?

Kevin, great job, we have never met but I look forward to diving in your boat soon!

I unhooked and was last up from the Castor. I missed all the action, was picked up by Starfish, and transferred back to the Explorer for the ride in and interrogation by the Coast Guard, Sherrif, FWC... If it were not for his buddy, Kevin and crew, this diver would be dead. He is one very lucky man.

Pick your boat carefully, someday you may need them.

Good diving, Craig

Great job, Kev.

Accidents happen. Many are diver error. Hopefully survivors & those who read about these incidents learn from them. Thanks to well-trained experience crews, there are fewer tragedies. Working on a dive boat is alot harder than it looks. There's more to it than just driving the boat or having divers follow you around.

x2

We are all grateful for the outcome. And add a shout out and BZ to the dive buddy who got him to the surface and the passenger that gave CPR.

I understand there was an MD on the trip, but not involved in the rescue as he was last man up and Explorer had already departed for obvious reasons. A Well Done to Capt. Craig of the D/V Starship who picked him up.

One of the cool things about the boats in Boynton and WPB...they all work the same reefs and wrecks, and they all work together if a dive accident occurs...Kevin would know that Craig would do an awesome job of picking up his last diver, and if situations were reversed, the same would be true.

Not just a cool thing, it's every boaters duty.

Regulation 33 of the International Convention for the Safety of Life At Sea (SOLAS) Chapter V states:

"The master of a ship at sea which is in a position to be able to provide assistance on receiving a signal from any source that persons are in distress at sea, is bound to proceed with all speed to their assistance,

According To The Merchant Ship Search and Rescue Manual (MERSAR):

"It is accepted as the normal practice of seamen, indeed there is an obligation upon masters, that they render every assistance within their power in cases where a person or persons are in distress at sea. These obligations are set out in regulation V/10 of the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom