Body suit under wet suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a skin. It's to make pulling on a wet suit easier and also to protect from rubbing on my Achilles (my boots have rough stitching in the back of the boots). On a liveaboard with multiple repetitive dives, it makes pulling on the suit, still wet from the last dive, a piece of cake. I don't find much thermal protection but it is probably a little bit.

I just started wearing a lycra skin underneath my 3 mm wetsuit. I was having some issues with it rubbing on the side of one of my ankles and a part of my neck, and the skin has helped a lot with that. I didn't notice that much of a difference getting the wetsuit on, but it was a little easier to get off.

Last edited:
I have one that I got as part of a package deal on some used gear a long time ago. I don't use it very often (mostly it makes me look like the gayest Avenger :) ) But, I do pull it out for early in the season or late in the season. It helps extend the utility of my 5mm a couple of degrees, that and I pre-wet the wetsuit with bottles of warm water.

Dr Dive sez: I use a Henderson skin, take at least 2 with me on live aboard trips so one can dry while wearing the other, with booties of the same fabric. Makes any suit slide right on, and more comfortable to wear. The best way to stay warm on the SI is to get a two piece set of rain gear ($8-$10) at Wal Mart, dark color, and put it on immediately after exiting the water, with your wetsuit and skin still in place. Stops evaporation, your suit keeps you warm, and you don't have to struggle back into cold garments. The dark color gives you some solar heating and it's easy to unzip and vent to control your comfort level. Go medium cheap, not Gore-Tex or breathable fabric, as the evaporative effect comes right back. Just my $0.02.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom