Planned air sharing/Hose of shame to extend bottom time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I may be late to the party, but when doing deep dives with a dive operator, I will often ask in advance for HP100's. My SAC stays around .53, which is higher than I'd like, but with the steel 100's I can get in a decent dive time, even at depths between 80-110 ft. EAN 32 is my friend!

BB, used to do it all the time back in the 80's when the 'kids' 1st started diving & daughter made air down there....When you (were) paying for 5 divers(3 'kids', wife & myself), every minute down there count(ed).....:)..why the daughter???--she was the oldest @ 16 YO & seemed to really 'make it' down there...

yes, I did learn all of that. In the pool we had to share gas, swim to the end of the pool, switch donor/receiver positions and swim back (after of course being instructed on it, and watching a demonstration). We also had to do this on one of our open water dives.

Not only did we do all that in my course, but we had to do the swimming from one end of the pool to the other air sharing with our mask off and on a short hose. At one point I buddied with a DM who had a long hose and the long hose makes it insanely easier. Not to mention, in the Cozumel arrangement, your mask is on.

We didn't swim around in open water, just to the surface- but the basic idea is still practiced.

I don't love the idea of air sharing, but as long as the sharer still has 1000 psi in their tank and isn't OOA, it doesn't seem like a problem. On our trip, even my two air sucking days I was never the first to go up (the op sent us up in buddy pairs, not as a group)- so if I dove with an air share then everyone up together op, I wouldn't be the sharer most likely.

The DM seemed to be in control of the situation. He preserved the dive for the other divers, he also had the novice in close proximity and within easy reach. He also offered you an out if you weren't comfortable with the situation. Both of you had plenty of gas to go up on at the end of the dive. You took the time to fine tune your rig at the end of the day. Sounds like he helped you out, I doubt you were in at any great risk form this break in protocol. Not a practice for two newbies, or something to make a habit out of, but I don't see any big negatives.

Back
Top Bottom