The time has come...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jw2013

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I've just passed my Pool Assessment on Monday and I am about to get into Open Water to start my training there. Whilst I am excited and looking forward to it, I am a little apprehensive. I was wondering if anybody has any advice, tips or tricks to help when the times comes?
... thank you!

apprehensive about what exactly, do you have an idea?
Looks like you did well in the pool and your instructor seems to be confident that you can handle it in open water.
If you can't relax tell your instructor, don't follow peer pressure, and take your time.
.. and enjoy this amazing part of the world :wink:

Agree, and in reality there is no training involved other than some.additional knowledge about the new environment. The checkout dives are to evaluate all that you learned in the pool and give you a little bit of experience. If you are truly apprehensive and not just excited and have some nervous excitement about completing your cert you may not be ready for OW yet and require some.extra pool time. When you say passed the pool portion just what does that mean?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I've just passed my Pool Assessment on Monday and I am about to get into Open Water to start my training there. Whilst I am excited and looking forward to it, I am a little apprehensive. I was wondering if anybody has any advice, tips or tricks to help when the times comes?
... thank you!

Between now and then visualize yourself having a great time. It might help to do that if you can find some underwater pictures of the dive site online.

On the day of the dive keep communication open and don't hurry.

Good luck and have fun.

R..

I have a blog post here on scubaboard that I put up quite a while ago, and it remains among the most popular. Here it is:
[h=4]So now you are doing your open water dives [/h] [h=6]
rating-15_5.png
[/h]

0 Comments
by DivemasterDennis
, July 7th, 2011 at 03:08 PM (1973 Views)

This weekend I will be part of team leading 24 new divers through their open water dives to certification as new divers, and as I know we have a lot of new divers in training who read scubaboard, I'd like to share a few suggestions with you to make your experience smoother and more enjoyable.

1.Check all you gear a day or two before the dive, to be sure you have everything, everything is working properly and everything fits properly. Put stuff on, especially rented exposure gear. If anything is too tight, too loose, looks damaged, or doesn't work, go to your local dive center and get it switched.

2. Before you leave the dive location after day 1, check to make sure you have everything in your dive bag, and that what you have is yours. In big groups, people sometime get the wrong stuff. While it can usually get straightened out the next day, it is a pain and an anxiety maker. Do the same on day 2.

3. Be on time. This can be a problem. And it will stress you and others. Punctual divers are calmer divers. Give yourself plenty of time to get to where you need to be.

4. Don't schedule stuff for later the same day as you open water dives. You won't want to rush off, because you may well forget a piece of gear, or miss out on meeting new people, or conversations that would be helpful to you. Getting certified is a big deal, and also involves some physical exertion. Try and schedule yourself so you can be fully focused on the dives, not be rushed, and fully enjoy the experience and the achievement of open water diving.

5. Ask questions. If you have a question ask your instructor or divemaster. There are no stupid questions. If you want a "private moment" asks for one. We will accommodate you.

6. Report problems. If you don't feel well, a piece of gear doesn't fit right,
or you have some other issue, please tell one of us. We need to know, and we can help.

7. Be patient. Sometime you have to wait your turn. Sometimes we have weather delays, or other things that delay a planned schedule. Stay calm, stay relaxed, we will get everything done. We promise.

8. Bring you paperwork ( including photo, written work not yet turned in,etc.) and log book and a pen. The job isn't over till the paperwork's done. Bring everything in your student kit. It's a great feeling to not only have done your dives successfully, but to have all the paperwork ready to go, your dives logged, and be a totally legitimate certified diver.

9. Ok, as the co-author of "The Scuba Snobs' Guide to Diving Etiquette" I can't close without saying this: "Don't Bitch." If you have a complaint, state it to your instructor or divemaster. We can't control the weather or water conditions, but we will do all we can to meet your needs while guiding you to becoming a certified diver. That means we won't be doing things for you, but will guide you through it. You can minimize problems by having all your work in before the open water weekend, checking your gear a day or two before, and following the other suggestions here.

Diver's bond with other divers in a hurry. You are about to join one of the coolest clubs that has ever existed- the brother- and sister-hood of certified divers. Let's have a fun, positive and memorable(in a good way) experience under the water!
DivemasterDennis​

DivemasterDennis said it pretty well. I don't have a lot of dives, but he summed up what I have learned. Be on time (early), don't rush, relax, ask questions, listen, don't rush off when finished, and don't bitch.

Scuba is a sport that is better when done slowly. Savor the moments and enjoy the experience. You'll be OK.

The last thing he said was probably the most important. You are about to join the coolest club that has ever existed. Enjoy it.

apprehension / anxiety....that is the first step.......the rest is cake.

Relax and enjoy it jw2013! It's really an amazing feeling. Don't be afraid to ask your instructor for feedback after each dive.

For my OW, we had to do about 5 pool sessions, 3 quarry dives and then another 3 boat dives. I got a little bid nervous before rolling off the back of the boat the first time. We did it in the pool a few times, but for some unknown reason I was a bit anxious. Because of that I battled to get down. I just took a couple deep, long breaths, tried again and it went really well after that. It probably did not help that I had been reading these forums for weeks before my first sea dives, so I was very worried about my trim, buoyancy, doing my safety stop properly etc.

Remember your training, get a clear briefing and you should have an amazing time. Remember to not get out of breath while waiting on the surface (cross your legs to stop impulsive fining).

Please let us know how it goes!

let it's been said.. relax and enjoy yourself... your instructor will go over what skills they will be reviewing... which are the same you did in the pool. it's a BIG pool with fish in it. (simplification but....)
I still get a little nervous diving a new location -- but it's more the curiousity of what am i going to find down there and did i have enough coffee that morning?

Thank you for your responses!

I said I was apprehensive, reading these replies I think it's more excitement and looking forward to getting into the water, exploring deeper than a meter or so. My instructor(s) are extremely thorough and are always willing to help and take their students out so that instils great confidence in you as a newbie!

I'm (hopefully) getting all kitted out tonight and next week (weights, suits, hood, gloves etc.) to get an idea what I need for Open Water then we'll plan some days out in an inland site. I will be sure to let you know how it goes!! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom