Trip Report- March 8-15, Hotel Cozumel AI, dove w Dive Paradise.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JG109

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hotel Cozumel
We have been to Hotel Cozumel many times but not normally with a group. We were hesitant to go w a group as we are pretty much about relaxing-diving (w Deep Blue), eating, read your book by the pool, a few drinks and in bed by 10 pm. But the price was right so we signed up. We arrived on Saturday 3/8 and checked in w Dive Paradise to dive the next day, 8 divers, 2 non-divers. We skipped the pier check-out dive- too tired although always a good idea. Weather was in the 80's most of the week with a mild breeze Saturday-Thursday.
In my opinion, Hotel Cozumel is a 3 star hotel w a big pool, across the street from the water. There is a tunnel to the beach side, where the pier, dive shop, dive gear lockers, beach and lunch restaurant are located. The service is good and we always bring a bunch of $1 bills to tip.
Contrary to some comments on the board, the food was pretty darn good this trip. All meals are buffet style w an omellete station at breakfast and a carving station at dinner. Lunch is at the restaurant by the pier. On different nights, there was roast turkey, roast pork, roast chicken, beef roast etc. There is a "pasta cooking station" for lack of a better term, where they make your pasta the way you want it. Plus, with a good package price, you don't feel guilty eating in town one or two nights. We are not gourmands. At the pool, waiters come around take your drink orders and there is a bar at the pool (not in the pool). There is a locking safe in the room. You can also walk into town and then walk or cab back. The only thumbs down is the beds- a little on the hard side!

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2014 at 08:53 PM ----------

Dive Paradise
The package included a 2 tank morning trip and a one tank afternoon trip We had 8 diver and were pleasantly surprised to find we had our own boat, the Sonador, a fast boat. No canopy so you had to wear a hat. We had a nice early pickup-8am or so.
We dove 5 days Sun-Thursday (14 dives) and had the same Divemaster- Giovanni every trip and Captain "Smiley". He did a great job of spotting creatures. I told him I can't see tiny stuff and he never bothered me pointing out microbes LOL. Captain Smiley did a great job also and switched your tank between dives. I normally prefer to do this but he was fast!
After the first day, Gio had everyone's number and didn't bother me and my dive buddy w okay signs or tank pressure. Since we had the boat, we picked our dive sites and had no repeats. Columbia great as always, we normally picked a closer shallower dive for the afternoon trip. Unfortunately I loaned my dive notes to one of the group but we hit most of the sites with no problems.
The diving was great, excellent vis, currents were normal, not crazy, water was 81F. We saw one eagle ray, a bunch of turtles and nurse sharks, and several large green morays, plus the usual critters. On Thursday a storm blew in w wind and rain so we were extra happy w the early departure and the fast boat as we were back at the dock just after noon.
I have to give Dive Paradise credit, we were very happy with them. I still doubt I would do their slow boat but the fast boat was great.
We also did one night dive off the pier. We headed south, into the current, hugging the shore (10-15ft) for 30 minutes then slowly drifted back for 30 minutes and had a great dive- a school of squid changing colors (pretty cool), a bunch of small spotted moray eels, various small fish, sleeping parrotfish, brittlestars and one octopus (I think). The rest of our group headed out from the pier to the pyramid area and didn't seem to see as much so hug the shoreline wall.
All in all, a great trip.

I'm another Hotel Coz regular who thinks the food has improved more every trip and we've started getting Fajitas & Tacos made to order at the pool snack bar rather than having lunch at the beach club. I did a couple of days with Dive Paradise last trip & the lack of shade on the fast boats was a disappointment, plus they charged $10 for 100's vs $5 at most of the other shops I use regularly. The dives were great but then again most are unless you're grouped with several rookies.

I could have written the exact same post about Hotel Coz. We were there the same week. We thought the food was much better than when we were there 2 years ago. There was something good to eat at every meal. We only went out to dinner twice during the week! We had another amazing week diving privately with Sandro!

Is Hotel Cozumel close enough to walk into town? Or do you need to take a cab?

Another hotel cozumel fan. I got it on cheaptickets this trip for $63 dollars a night AI single occupancy. I go with alot of friends and we all noticed also that the food had gotten better on our last trip. Im not picky by no means but we could all tell a difference. I have also dove alot with Giovanni and all the guys at DP. We are taking the fast boats on this next trip for $4 aday extra. If you try to upgrade to a fast boat after you booked a slow boat it is $10. 19 days to go.

Yes skittles as said above it is only a 10-15 minute walk to town or $5-6 dollar cab ride, The hotel also has free bicycyles for guests.

We always walk into town. Then depending on how much you ate/drank/dove that day, walk or taxi home. It's an easy 15 minute stroll.
The taxi prices are posted in the lobby, not sure but I thought it went up from $6 to $10 to the center of town.

We always walk into town. Then depending on how much you ate/drank/dove that day, walk or taxi home. It's an easy 15 minute stroll.
The taxi prices are posted in the lobby, not sure but I thought it went up from $6 to $10 to the center of town.
$10? That's insane! Last time I stayed there, I was complaining that cab to El Moro cost $9. (2002, when it was still Fiesta Inn)

Taxi fares as of 6 weeks ago (in Pesos).

VZ1Q9422.JPG

Thanks cicopo.
Needing to rely on taxis (I am NOT driving down there) is making planning our next trip really difficult.

Back
Top Bottom