Underwater stills on Hero 3+ ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

v43.jpg This still was taken from the footage using Go Pro Studio 2 and advancing frame by frame until I got this. Im quite happy with it.

v22.jpg One more taken from movie, I don't want to boore you too much, but it just shows the quality that can be achieved without using it in photo mode. This is in the Maldives in December 2013 at about 17 meters.

Most end up blurry unless you are still during the shot. It's best to just use the software and take your stills from the video.

What editing program do you use for video editing and screen grabs? The go pro program is OK, but I'm sure there is something better. Cost?

What editing program do you use for video editing and screen grabs? The go pro program is OK, but I'm sure there is something better. Cost?
I think GoPro Studio gives quite a few good options for screen grab quality. Not sure if other apps can really do much better considering the limited res/quality of original video. In fact GoPro app does better screen shots than my much more expensive Sony Vegas Pro.

I think GoPro Studio gives quite a few good options for screen grab quality. Not sure if other apps can really do much better considering the limited res/quality of original video. In fact GoPro app does better screen shots than my much more expensive Sony Vegas Pro.

Thanks for the input. Good to know.

Is there a quality difference between the separate still mode and video grabs?

Is there a quality difference between the separate still mode and video grabs?

That's debatable. I think still mode can take a sharper, more detailed pic but it takes good lighting, being very still, many attempts and some luck. Video stills, though lower res and less sharp, can be easier to procure if you go frame by frame through your footage and find one that is not motion blurred.

Simple and free to extract frames is VLC player. I have an app on my android tablet called "androvid" that does the job as well, even skips frame by frame

I select screen shots and they are Ok.the video is the strong point. Just came back from Cozumel with my new 3+ and really liked it..thank God I got a red filter as recommended here...makes huge difference.

I also like to use a pole configuration..will go to lights and more elaborate set up when I have $.

GOPR0287.MP4_snapshot_00.33_[2014.03.24_10.47.27]babyhawksbill.jpg

I will inflict my recent amateur experience on you...again...I brought a laptop on the recent Cozumel trip (usually don't but took the chance) so getting feedback day to day helped improve technique..I had two morph back up lights that were enough for pretty good nite dive videos or in swim throughs (when using light remove red filter or you will over red things)...so real (although cheap video) lights helped in dark conditions BUt red filter versus no filter was the biggest and most amazing difference..I also used but did not like the "super" wide angle setting and just then stayed with wide angle...super was too blurry at edges imho....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom