Short fat kid needs a plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captainhook426

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm 5'11 and come at about 240pounds on most days. I was wondering if I needed to take any special considerations on plate selection. Also, I do a lot of diving in cold water in a 7mm suit. Last time I wore this suit it took about 25 pounds to get neutral or slightly negative. I was leaning towards a 40 pound wing, but wanted some more opinions.

Thanks in advanced!

I would have thought a standard plate would be fine. What tank are you using?

---------- Post added March 26th, 2014 at 04:02 AM ----------

Even with a steel tank you'd likely be fine with a smaller wing, a 30lb for example. It's unlikely you'd need a 40lb wing. Your wing needs to compensate for wetsuit compression (loss of buoyancy at depth) and should be able to float your rig without you in it. Not sure what gear you're looking at but if you contact Deep Sea Supply he will crunch the numbers with you and ensure you get the perfect set up for your needs. Hopefully one of the more knowledgable members will chime in. Good luck.

Last edited:
That was my plan. I didn't know if there girth difference in Tobin's plates or not that I needed to know about. I am using aluminum 80 's as single tanks.

A standard plate should be fine. As far as AL80s, you may want to consider steels. 25# is a lot of lead. A good SS plate and STA would really bring that down. If you're considering a DSS system (and you should be), call Tobin....he'll set you up right!

I would definitely go with steel plate. You might also want to consider a steel tank to get some of the weight off your middle. In Europe we have steel tanks with 4400psi working pressures which are quite negative and could be worth looking into if they're available in your area.

R..

Also consider Tobin's steel bolt-on weight plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ +1

SS BP (-6#), weight Plates (-10#), and an HP 120 (-12#) = no weight belt for diving dry.....

I would love to get a HP steel tank.. BUUUT poor broke college student can't get in a BP/W and have a steel tank all at once. Now only if I didn't have the same working hours as Tobin, I would be able to figure out what I needed to order........

If you flossed and brushed your teeth you might not need a plate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom