What Would You Do if You Looked Up and Saw a Great White Shark?

What would you do if you saw a GWS?

• Suffer a heart attack

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Experience a flooded mask from smiling

Votes: 30 33.3%
  • Never dive again

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chase after him, hoping for more photos

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Stab dive buddy and make a getaway

Votes: 12 13.3%
  • Permanently soil your wetsuit

Votes: 15 16.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd much rather my encounter to like this where I don't have time to think other than just enjoy the shear terror and beauty at the same time. Shark at min 1:24

[video=youtube_share;owbFQWijMqI]http://youtu.be/owbFQWijMqI[/video]

My real answer wasn't listed. I'd take a picture and keep an eye on him/her and exit the water cautiously. And I might flood my mask from smiling. There was a time that I would have chased him/her to get a better picture. :)

+1 for stabbing! Chummed dives always make better videos, and instabuddies make the best chum. Jetfins and Rambo knives were made for just this occasion. The trick is to stab, swim to the edge of good vis distance, watch/record the resulting gorefest, and then beat a hasty retreat masked by a vile, brown cloud emitting from the rear end of the wetsuit (like a squid).

I voted permanently soiled as this may be the first occurrence. Then I would try to figure the best way to land. I think I've heard that slowly along the bottom may be best. Once in 3 feet of water I would not take off fins, but keep going until in 1 foot of water. I don't think he can get in that far.

I'd curse myself out for not carrying a camera with me. :(

I'd much rather my encounter to like this where I don't have time to think other than just enjoy the shear terror and beauty at the same time. Shark at min 1:24

[video=youtube_share;owbFQWijMqI]http://youtu.be/owbFQWijMqI[/video]

Wow, I think that's pretty scary! -- to have a large shark like that head directly for you. I noticed you continued with the dive. Could you tell if it was a (maybe) black tip reef shark, or perhaps something more threatening like a Tiger shark? Oh, your heading says GWS. Silly me.

You guys looked mighty tasty in those wetsuits !!

- Bill

I'd enjoy the experience, and probably chase it for a pic like I've chased tigers and bulls. Regardless of where you are in relation to it, if it wants you there's nothing you can do about it, and that you noticed it at all means you are (probably) safe.

Ask this guy:

andre-hitches-ride-lg.jpg

His name is Andre Hartman, from South Africa.

Why is the option of "Warhammer" not an selection in this poll?

Thats about what my first reaction would be.
Followed by awe.
Then joy to actually be seeing one of these majestic animals.
Then contemplation of evacuation route.

Chug
Has only seen GW's on the Tee-Vee here in "The South".

Ask this guy:

View attachment 180606

His name is Andre Hartman, from South Africa.

Andre Hartman took Jean-Michel Cousteau out to free dive like this with GWS back in the late 1990s or early 2000. I remember him telling me about the experience. Unfortunately, I understand Andrew suffered a heart attack or stroke "recently."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom