Gear or training? what makes the diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my opinion, Proficiency makes the diver.

Someone can be comfortable in, and around the water, yet still not be a proficient diver. Comfort just means they're not likely to stress or panic if something doesn't go well.
Experience doesn't make someone a good diver. They could have a ton of experience in the water doing things wrong.
Gear doesn't make someone a good diver. Even if you have top of the line gear that doesn't mean it's suited to your particular diving or that you know how to use it properly.

To me, someone that is proficient in their skills, proficient in their equipment, and comfortable in the water are going to be the best divers. So, I think that it's a combination of the things listed previously *along* with the ability to use them properly.

Agree on all of this. Of course, it's difficult to find much of anything in the whole thread to really disagree with. Being comfortable in water and with skills (the actual mechanical skills as well as buoyancy and general diving) and properly using equipment would be a given after a few post OW Course dives (at least you would think). Those that are still sorely lacking in one or more of these areas would probably quit (you would think, or at least seek additional training/advice to correct things). You said experience doesn't make someone a good diver as they could have a ton of it and still do things wrong. I would guess this doesn't happen too often though. As I mentioned, it's hard for me to recall someone with a lot of experience that wasn't good. If you keep doing things wrong over 100s of dives and don't correct them (assuming you are aware they are wrong), you're not the brightest bulb, etc.

three on the tree (or you aren't Driving It Right)

:rofl3:

OMG... that reminded me about driving back to MA from MI in a '65 Plymouth with 3 on the column!!! That was waaaaay back in '74 or '75 when I was in school. Wasn't all that good with a clutch yet. Then had to drive back to MI in a blinding snowstorm as we cut across Canada, almost going off the road on Queen's Highway. I finally got the hang of it as we pulled in at the end of the trip... Thanks for the reminder!

As far as what makes a good diver, I think it's a little bit of everything. But if I had to pick only one thing, I'd say it's a diver's will to want to be a better diver no matter what kind of gear they own or training they've had.

Last edited:
Ok late comer to the thread.
I am in agreement it takes a positive motivated attitude, proficiency "mastery of skills", training to maintain these skills, thus building experience and comfort in the water.

On the issue of gear a experienced, skilled diver can dive most any rig with a little adjustment and training time.
How ever some types of diving lend themselves to particular types of gear.
Before I start I am not trying to hijack anything!
What rig or style you choose is your choice.
Jacket, BPW, BM doubles, SM doubles all gear can and it used for a variety of dives.
Some are easier configurations for reasons that are dive case specific.

This is a great thread nice read and informative.
I hope that this helps others to set training goals and dive purposeful.
Maintaining and growing as a diver is a challenge to us all.
Seeking the path to be the best diver we can one dive at a time.

CamG

A Diver makes the Diver, gear is the tool's we use in our adventure, and training is what we use to grow during our journey.

Sometimes the clothes do not make the man.

Then again...sometimes they do...

... only until the man has to do without them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sometimes the clothes do not make the man.

Then again...sometimes they do...
1229924207793_447.jpg
So, what does the clothes say about the guy in the foreground there?

He wants to stay warm?
I guess.. He could just light up a fire with some of his 3 billion USD though...

---------- Post added March 27th, 2014 at 02:15 PM ----------
Got doubled, removed...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom