This is why you don't feed sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If a nurse sharks approaches me that closely and is that interested, I think the hands off policy is out the window. The nurse shark is initiating the contact, so I'm probably touching it. WTF not? What am I going to do, frighten it? As for danger, unless you try to kiss the thing what the heck is a nurse shark going to do to you? That thing is like a puppy, when marine life is acting like a puppy approaching and nuzzling you, sorry, I think the hands off doesn't apply, you're not bothering the thing you're giving it the contact it's craving.

Speargun? too many divers. no way to get them all.
One is enough. Set an example.

---------- Post added March 26th, 2014 at 09:08 PM ----------

If a nurse sharks approaches me that closely and is that interested, I think the hands off policy is out the window. The nurse shark is initiating the contact, so I'm probably touching it. WTF not? What am I going to do, frighten it? As for danger, unless you try to kiss the thing what the heck is a nurse shark going to do to you? That thing is like a puppy, when marine life is acting like a puppy approaching and nuzzling you, sorry, I think the hands off doesn't apply, you're not bothering the thing you're giving it the contact it's craving.
But it's not craving contact, it's craving food.

Its behavior is already messed up, so what's the harm in messing it up some more? Have you ever heard the phrase "two wrongs don't make a right"?

What's the point of caressing a nurse shark with gloves on? In any event, I find nurse sharks to be absolutely beautiful. I don't touch them but if they want to swim by me that's just fine. Not into hickies though. Also keeping hands tucked is a good idea. Mike can joke about the sucking but don't think anyone here wants their hand in a nurse shark's mouth. After all they suck crustaceans out of rocks. Don't think that turns out to be the same as being gummed a little bit.

Watch the video again, after the initial interaction with a diver or two, the diver with the gloves keeps going after the shark. At one point when he is inverted he appears to be trying to kiss the shark with his reg still in his mouth at around the 1:40 mark. That was not a defensive move.

Last edited:

Let's face it: That shark needed a hug. Don't we all have days like that? It's not 'shark' harassment if the shark initiates it right?

The only rule I know is if that happens, DO NOT turn them upside down and kiss 'em.

Chug:

Interested in which reef you are referring to?

Thanks,

Desi

There is a Nurse Shark, about that exact same size, and with about that same behavior pattern here on one of my most favorite reefs.
I attribute it to the surge of dimwits feeding the sharks hereabouts Lion Fish at the end of a spear or tickle stick.
Some yo-yo's are of course hand feeding them.
Sad.
Eventually someone, somewhere is going to get hurt, and as stated previously, the sharks will suffer for it.

Chug
Often mugged by sharks.

pic000.jpg

Its behavior is already messed up, so what's the harm in messing it up some more?

Affirmative. I'm all over that nurse shark.

The only rule I know is if that happens, DO NOT turn them upside down and kiss 'em.

Yep, that can get ugly and embarrassing, like the guy who ended up in the emergency room due to getting to know his vacuum cleaner too well.

Yep, that can get ugly and embarrassing, like the guy who ended up in the emergency room due to getting to know his vacuum cleaner too well.

I vaguely recall a nurse shark latching on to a divers chest. Was the diver aggressively harassing a motionless/resting shark?

Back
Top Bottom