Farmer John Jacket over full wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbalmr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a 5mm Full wetsuit that just isn't enough warmth for me in Michigan, I also have a 7mm Farmer john jacket. Has anyone ever worn a jacket over a full wetsuit with good results? I really don't want to buy another wetsuit. Any suggestions would help!

I wore a 7mm jacket over a 7mm fullsuit once, and while very warm it's not something I ever tried again. There's just way too much bulk on the arms--mobility is awful, and fitting compasses, computers, etc. around the wrists becomes difficult. For shore diving, I felt like I was gonna die from overexertion before getting into the water.

A much better solution would be to buy a 5mm hooded vest, or a short-john, to wear underneath your full-suit. Having 10mm+ of neoprene on the core isn't too debilitating like it is when on the arms and legs. But if you don't want to spend money then can always just give the jacket a try.

that's what I'm afraid of, too much arm restriction. I'll try it once and if it doesn't work I might have someone cut the arms off the jacket and make a step in vest. It's too cold for me to try in Michigan right now, but as soon as June hits, the pool is open!!

My solution: Don't dive in Michigan. The lakes are way too cold, even in summer. Move to Florida.

I think BARE makes a hooded shorty designed to be worn over a full suit. I believe it's either 5 or 7mm. It has no sleeves, so mobility should not be an issue. I looked at it a couple of times, but then got a really good deal on a drysuit.

My solution: Don't dive in Michigan. The lakes are way too cold, even in summer. Move to Florida.

Too many huge bugs and snakes! I get to Florida a couple times a year, gotta love Southwest and Allegiant Airlines, $79-$99 one one way with two free bags!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom