Diving after kidney and liver transplant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LynnB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Have you or anyone you know ever had a transplant and returned to diving?
While I am not ready quite yet as it has only been three months, I would love to hear of any experiences.
if you have any Info I would love for you to share it!!

thanks,
Lynn

It's kind of implied that he's diving after his liver transplant, is that actually the case?

Lynn,

What are you most fearful about following your kidney/liver transplant? Once your surgical wounds are healed sufficiently, that should not be an issue. Your risk of infection due to V vulnificus should be decreased due to your improved liver function but this may be balanced by your immunosuppressive regimen. If you have not already done so, I would send my query to DAN and to Duke Dive Medicine. If I were in your shoes, I would be headed back underwater. Of course, I have been back underwater following both of my hip replacents and after being hit by a boat off Delray FL with a broken and lacerated foot. Its hard to keep a diver out of the water. Whatever you decide, best of luck.

Good diving, Craig

Disclaimer, I'm and Infectous Diseases Physician

Best, Craig

Thanks Craig! No I am not afraid to dive again at all. I would just like to know of any additional risk and to share with other transplant divers.
i am all healed but just don't have all my strength back. I look forward to my next dive whenever that will be!!!

Lynn, I pray that next dive will be SOON and that it results in the renewal of the lifestyle you so dearly love :balloons:

You are SUCH a positive spirit and I can't wait to swap stories with you here on ScubaBoard for many more years to come!

No, I have never faced this kind of physical abilities. But my best friend has suffered this kind of difficulties. But now this time, he is enjoying the shark diving. When I asked about his transparent procedure, he tells me that I am O.K. dude. He is so brave man and live his life in his way. I know he has taken a huge treatment regarding Kidney issue. But his patience is the only keyword that brings him back to the shark diving. I salute my friend.

Whenever in doubt call DAN. DAN may give you a little more conservative estimates but they may also be able to take into account any complications, etc that you can tell them about. My mom called about diving after having cateract surgery on her eyes and they were very helpful. They gave her a longer time than her doctor but with things like this it's probably better to error on the side on caution so you don't have any set-backs and you can leave your worries behind.

We can all guess. There may be some doctors who can give you a very informed decision here too. In addition I would not forego the knowledge that DAN has built up. They are very helpful if you have their insurance and likely if you don't but it's pretty silly to dive without dive insurance when it's so cheap compared to the prices that one might pay if, god forbid, one had a dive accident and needed some chamber rides or worse.

In the end I can't imagine not being able to go back to diving but with things like that you have to be careful. I dive with terminal cancer and one of my chemos just gave me kidney failure although I am not sure it is permenant as they have stopped the particular chemo that had caused it and my creatinine levels are getting better. I am still on other chemos and my oncologist thinks it's good for me to get out there. Unfortunately I have a crushed vertebra from 4 years ago that decided to rear it's ugly head so I haven't been able to dive since January (Ice in MN was pretty late so lucky I got some in Florida before injuring it again). Hoping physical therapy will fix it or I'm diving somehow anyway. :D

Good Luck!!! I hope you are cleared earlier than later!!! I'm sure you deserve the solitude and relaxation only diving can give after all you have been through.

I know that it has been a long time since OP posted about this topic, but I will reply for posterity.

I have a kidney transplant. At first I was very concerned about the immunological response to diving in different waters. I think those still remain, especially in and around freshwater lakes with agricultural activity.

Every situation is different, but I have participated in blackwater lake dives without problem.

That being said, to mitigate infection, I use a full face mask to avoid ingesting water. I also use doc's pro plugs in my ears to prevent top water suspended particles from entering my ears. Additionally, I avoid peeing and farting in my wetsuit. I know that is crude, but you want to avoid your muous membranes from coming into contact with bacteria and protozoans as much as reasonable.

As far as using prophylaxis, they should not be used according to my doctor. Flagella is the name of an anti-protozoan that is commonly used in post-op transplant care protocols. It may help, but my doctor advises against using it in my situation.

It should be understood that I am extremely cautious about these things to the point of irrationality. In reality, people swim in dirty lakes with transplants all the time. I just like to take "an ounce of prevention" approach.

That being said, to mitigate infection, I use a full face mask to avoid ingesting water. I also use doc's pro plugs in my ears to prevent top water suspended particles from entering my ears. Additionally, I avoid peeing and farting in my wetsuit. I know that is crude, but you want to avoid your muous membranes from coming into contact with bacteria and protozoans as much as reasonable.
If you are that concerned about getting in contact with water, you might want to consider a dry suit with a permanent hood...

Have you or anyone you know ever had a transplant and returned to diving?
While I am not ready quite yet as it has only been three months, I would love to hear of any experiences.
if you have any Info I would love for you to share it!!

thanks,
Lynn
Hi Lynn I was just inquiring as to wether you are back diving now as I had a liver transplant 6 months ago would love to hear if it is all going well cheers.Ian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom