Off to Utila - April 5th - 12th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reidster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are making our first trip to Utila - April 5th - 12th. SOOOOOOOOOO looking forward to getting outa here - been a loooonnnngggg winter!!!

We are staying at Laguna Beach - anyone else going to be there???

Any advice from those who've been there before??

I've been there "thrice"... You're in for a treat... Great place, great staff. Ask to be on Capt. Kerry's boat if you can. Best whale-shark-finder anywhere... And he'll likely take you to him Mom's house on the Cay for a piece of cake!

Dive operation is top-drawer and the diving is very nice.

If there is any drawback to LB, it's that getting into town is tricky. It requires a punt-ride across a little lagoon and canal, then a 20 minute walk or so along a fairly isolated road into town.

When we have been there, we were pretty much the only people who wandered into town in the evening. I never felt it wasn't safe, but be aware of where you are... And if you can, go in a group. Coming back, you need to arrange a pickup again and you best be on time, or you'll be swimming the canal!

Utila Town is a treasure and you should make sure to get in at least a couple of times. There's some fun bars... Treetanic, Tranguilla.. and a number of nice restaurants.

I was just chatting with a friend who lives and works there just today, and decided I must get back soon... probably with my daughter, who lived there for about 8 months.

Have fun!

We are making our first trip to Utila - April 5th - 12th. SOOOOOOOOOO looking forward to getting outa here - been a loooonnnngggg winter!!!

We are staying at Laguna Beach - anyone else going to be there???

Any advice from those who've been there before??

We've done Utila in town (staying at Mango inn & diving UDC) and out in a resort (Utopia). They both have their attractions.

If you want night life you're gonna have to go into town, but be aware that a huge percentage of the island is directly or indirectly there for the diving (professionally or otherwise). People will be doing tequila shots at dusk and going home with whomever long before midnight. But you'll be up diving your brain out every morning, just like everyone else, so it's all good. Also it does feel a bit rough around the edges but not so much that we didn't go out or didn't feel safe walking from downtown to the in after dinner.

The food is surprisingly good (if simple) in town if you find the right places. We did lunch at Big Mamas a lot when we stayed at Mango and it was good. I loved their lunch special. Pizza (of all things) is really pretty good at Mango Inn.

Being out at the resort is cozy and quiet, the bar should be good, the beer will be cold, and you aren't far from your room.

We went out to pigeon cay one afternoon/evening, that was fun. Also super good fried fish.

---------- Post added March 30th, 2014 at 08:35 PM ----------

http://youtu.be/LX-H-zF9PJ4

There are the lies in Utila:
I love you
I'm leaving tomorrow
I'm not drinking

town is really hopping now as its the lead up to semana santa, its the busiest time of the year on utila.
some people never leave the resort and go to town, many divers prefer the peaceful evenings at the resort.
only go to town if you want crowds, lots of heavy drinking and loud music, its that time of the year on utila, its very spring break like (thank goodness it only lasts 4-5 weeks).
if you do go to town at night check out rehab bar and skid row, they're the closest walk for you and they're two of the best bars and restaurants in town (don't let skid rows appearance fool you, the food is good). do the gufity challenge at skid row, its lots of fun and you get a free tshirt if you complete it.

Dives to do:

Black Hills
Duppy Waters
Brackish Point
Pinnacles
Joshua's Swash
Spotted Bay

If you like wrecks, the Halliburton is just off the harbor. Black Hills may be the best shallow dive there.
Part of Black Coral Wall, just west of Laguna Beach is called Labyrinth - it's really excellent at night.

Watch for surface boils and point them out to the captain - those are likely spots to see Whale Sharks. - especially now.
We were at Deep Blue a few years ago during their WS research week - it was this week. So you'll likely see some.

Thanks for the input everyone.
I prefer the the quiet vacation . . .lots and lots of diving and hanging out by the pool when not diving!!!
Not much of a drinker-a margarita or two is good enough for me . . .

We know the whale sharks are a possibility ...

Just can't wait to get away from the rat race!!!

Agree with diversteve re dive sites. Black Hills is a favorite for me.
We loved Laguna Beach. Great dive op, boats, captains and accommodation. Food so so, except on beach BBQ night, but town is not far away.
We went into town a few times on the dive boat in the evening and hung out at a bar over the water called Tranquillo. Cheap booze, laid back vibe. The Jade Seahorse is worth a visit as well.

The house reef at Laguna is pretty good for an evening or night dive. There are Toad Fish hanging out at the bottom of the miniwall. Also saw several Sailfin Blennies there. Keep your eyes peeled.

You don't need to worry about watching out for surface boils and pointing them out to the captain. The captains will have spotted them long before you have.

My only experience with Utila was with diving and lodging in town, not a resort. Had I not been on a shoestring budget, I would have been happier with a resort. PeterNBiddle's description of Utila Town is spot on. There are a lot of (mostly young) people living it up for a few hours between the end of the diving day and, say, 10 or 11 pm, and then it becomes a ghost town. There's really nothing special to see or do if you're not in need of food/drink.

Dives to do:

Black Hills
Duppy Waters
Brackish Point
Pinnacles
Joshua's Swash
Spotted Bay

All great dives. My dive log isn't handy but iirc we also really liked Jacks Bight.

Black Hills
Duppy Waters
Brackish Point
Pinnacles
Joshua's Swash
Spotted Bay
^YES. As a sidemount diver, Airport Caves was another favorite of mine.

I'm a UDC alumni as well and going back to The Rock this July too. My biggest advice would be, bring lots of memory cards and a nice spares kit -anything that would seriously effect your trip, bring a spare (within reason). Also, BRING LOTS OF BUG SPRAY. The mosquitoes murdered me when I was there last!! DEET worked the best. Enjoy Utila, you're going to have a blast. Safe travels!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom