Anacapa Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZTinman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I made the Saturday trip to Anacapa Island with the Spectre out of Venura. Here are a few photos from the trip:

Fish 2 - Anacapa AC Web.jpg

Sheepshead - Anacapa Island Web.jpg

Brittle Star - Anacapa AC Web.jpg

Spanish Shawl - Anacapa AC Web.jpg

-AZTinman

Looks awesome! I was just thinking of planning a trip out with them to anacapa. How was it? Did you sleep on the boat? Do you have your own tank or did you have to rent one? I was thinking july when its warmer.

#2 is really nice

In answer to your questions concerning the Spectre Op out of Ventura...

The Spectre Crew runs a really good operation. While I did not sleep on the boat for this trip, I have slept on the boat for previous trips with really early departure times. There were some divers who slept on the boat last Friday night. The crew cooked up some breakfast for divers on Saturday morning and prepared a major lunch (more than I could eat) after the completion of the second dive (Saturday was a four dive day). Their hot fudge brownie Sundays (they cook brownies on site) are pretty darn good too!

I stopped packing my own tanks a long time ago. I rented the tank and the soft weights I needed through the Spectre.

The waters off Anacapa were cold. My computer registered 56 degrees on one of the dive sites. I got a definite chill even with my 7/8 mil semi-dry suit. Inactivity was probably issue as I tend to move around lots less in a target rich environment; there was no shortage of photo subjects to shoot. Spectre does have a hot tub on board and many of the other divers used it to get warmed-up.

The Anacapa sites we hit had lots of surge on Saturday, but it was manageable. Anacapa has lots of marine reserve areas so critter numbers and sizes tend to be good.

Hope this information helps.

-AZTinman

The Spectre is the best!!! We have done a few trips with them and have loved every one.

---------- Post added March 25th, 2014 at 02:07 AM ----------

My hubby and I try to rent from sports chalet and stay on the boat the night before. You can rent equipment from the boat but they are old school and use weight belts. They are an amazing group you wont be disappointed. The food is great and they are super nice and the price is reasonable at 130 for 4 dives.

So, what's 'old school' about weight belts on the Spectre? Sure, the weights come in a belt, but those soft weights transfer from the belt to the integrated weight pockets on my BCD with no problem. At the end of the day, the weights transfer out of my BCD and back into the pockets on the belt. Soft weights are soft weights regardless of how one packs them around. The empty weight belt stows very nicely in the dive station during dive ops.

The positive side of having your rental gear at your dive station on the boat when you arrive is simply not having to lug heavy tanks and weights. The only weights I want to mess with packing are my ankle weights.

-AZTinman

I was on that trip. The Specter is my favorite boat, the crew is great.

Nice pics. I have yet to try out the spectre but I will be on the humboldt in 2 weeks for Coronados island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom