Rubber weight belt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stainless buckles are nice but they wear out the webbing faster. I would guess they'd be hell on rubber also.

Stainless buckles are nice but they wear out the webbing faster. I would guess they'd be hell on rubber also.

This is true (to an extent) for SS buckles on nylon webbing; over time you'll wear out the weight belt where the buckle "pinches" it.... that is the tradeoff for having a stronger and more secure buckle (vs a plastic buckle).

The rubber freediving weight belts like the Mako and IST belts being discussed do not use the same type of buckle used on a traditional nylon webbing weight belt. Very little "strain" is put on the rubber by the buckle itself, about the same as traditional belt buckle on a leather belt holding up your pants... the reason is that the rubber has a lot of "friction" against the exposure suit, and the weights can ride lower and are supported by the pelvis when walking on land (again, see the video on the Mako website), and near-zero strain on the buckle when horizontal in the water... the belt does not need to be cinched down super tight.

After using traditional nylon webbing weight belts since 1976, I am a recent and happy "convert" to rubber freediving belts.

Best wishes.

Do you have any figment issues? I have no hips, so I found the normal nylon webbing hard to wear even if I did adjust it at depth. I never could get the weights to not try to sag one way or another.
No issues whatsoever. I don't have much in the way of hips or butt for that matter. But to be frank, I don't carry much weight on my belt. I use steel tanks, metal back plates with trim weights on my cam straps.
Probably max I've carried on the belt is 8 or 10 pounds.

Funny to see this thread as I just (finally) ordered the Mako belt this morning.

While on their website, you are correct that the shipping was 11.51.

I decided to call and it turned out they allowed me to place the order on the phone, added 6.00 for USPS and it should mail out tomorrow for a total of $38.95

Wish I had known that before I ordered (last month). Having to pay roughly 1/3 the price of the belt for shipping was irritating.

This is true (to an extent) for SS buckles on nylon webbing; over time you'll wear out the weight belt where the buckle "pinches" it.... that is the tradeoff for having a stronger and more secure buckle (vs a plastic buckle).

The rubber freediving weight belts like the Mako and IST belts being discussed do not use the same type of buckle used on a traditional nylon webbing weight belt. Very little "strain" is put on the rubber by the buckle itself, about the same as traditional belt buckle on a leather belt holding up your pants... the reason is that the rubber has a lot of "friction" against the exposure suit, and the weights can ride lower and are supported by the pelvis when walking on land (again, see the video on the Mako website), and near-zero strain on the buckle when horizontal in the water... the belt does not need to be cinched down super tight.

After using traditional nylon webbing weight belts since 1976, I am a recent and happy "convert" to rubber freediving belts.

Best wishes.

I know. For the last 4 years I have been using rubber weight belts with a pin type buckle, not the lever, "pinch type". It's the pinch type buckle that I was referring to. Thanks,

Just ordered two makos right now for our upcoming dive trip, thanks for all the info!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom