Wetsuit storage -- hanging or folded?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's the reasoning for hanging undergarments? Looking at the tags, they're made of the same materials as clothing that we'd just fold up and put in a drawer: Polyester, nylon, etc.

I'd be curious what wetsuit and drysuit manufacturers do. How long do they leave products sitting packaged up for shipping? Do they have everything hanging until ready to ship off, or is everything pre-packaged for long periods of time?

I'd be curious what wetsuit and drysuit manufacturers do. How long do they leave products sitting packaged up for shipping? Do they have everything hanging until ready to ship off, or is everything pre-packaged for long periods of time?

My wetsuits from aqualung come plastic wrapped, folded with something like a miniature pool noodle thing at the fold so that it does not crease.

I travel between locations a fair amount, so my wetsuits, drysuit and underwear are often packed. I will roll the dry wetsuits from the ankles to the top, then fold the armed over the ends and along the roll, so there are no creases. Usually hold the whole thing together with a strap. Been in hot cars, cold cars, etc. for considerable lengths of time, and no problems, no creases.

Most of my drysuit garments I throughly dry and then just pack up. The exception is my Weezle underwear, which is similar to a sleeping bag material. To travel, it stuffs into compression bag making a ball about 4" in diameter, but when not traveling I unpack it and hang, as recommended by the manufacturer.

Drysuit I use a wide hanger with a dryer shown in post #14. I don't have a lot of ventilation in the area I store my suit, and this thing works great. I just leave it on the hanger until the next time it is used.

Terry

Hang them up. When I travel with wetsuit (or my drysuit) they get rolled, usually. If I have no space, then I'll fold the suit at the shoulders and the top of the legs but nothing more. Creases are the first place (aside from the cuffs and neck) that will tear if it's going to tear at all.

It's odd to hear everyone talking about hanging their drysuits. Mine is a viking extreme, and the manual distinctly calls for a rolled packed storage (in its bag). It even says never to hang it. That's how I've stored it thus far, and I trust the manufacturer wouldn't damage it. That may be a leap of faith (with planned obsolescence and all). They may want them to last for a few years before they want me to buy another.

on page 67 here:
http://protective.ansell.com/Global... Owners Manual/Viking_manual_ENG_1209_LOW.pdf

This could be different based on the type of suit obviously.

If you mean this model, it's for hanging up your BC (and regset). There is another model with four uprights for drying your boots and gloves.

View attachment 181138

Yes, that is one of the ones I was thinking of. I guess the other one was for gloves and booties.

I hang my wetsuits but roll my drysuit because it is much heavier

In Akumal Dive Center in Mexico I noticed they have hangers made of 1" PVC pipe they hang there wetsuits on. Seems the consensus is to hang your suit on a hanger such as this .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom