Dual Strobe Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mooseman1007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Guys,
I have just picked up a bargain Inon S2000 with a view to using it as a second strobe on my Olympus OMD-EM5, which I am currently using single strobe (S+S YS01). How is going to be best to set this up, if it will work?
i.e., Fibre optic both direct from the housing, or slave the S2000 from the slave port of the YS01. Ideally I would go with TTL rather than manual, doesnt matter if not as it was such a bargain I will keep the S2000 and sell off the YS01 along with my EPL2 (see classifieds !!) Just wondered whether it would be viable ?
Cheers
Dave

Yes, it should work ok, but the two strobes have a different beam angle and color temp. I would run a second cord from the housing to each strobe. You may have some issues with camera settings and TTL, but probably not.

Jack

Thanks Jack,
I suppose the best way is going to be try it and see, but its good to know that in theory it should be ok. RE the colour temp, I can always add some colour conversion film to the diffuser to balance them out if needs be.
Cheers
Dave

The YS-01 is stronger than the S2000 and reacts slightly different in TTL.
If and when you shoot in manual you will have to deal with the two strobes having different scales on the power knob. This may or not annoy you

Well the parcel arrived this morning, so Ill give the setup a try over the weekend, see whats what. I can imagine the different power scales being a royal pain tbh, especially as I find the Inon completely counterintuitive compared to the Sea+Sea, but I suppose thats just growing up with one rather than the other gives you a bias either way. Better I learn to deal with though, as the other option is to ask the missus to swap her S2000 for my YS01.....cant imagine that going down too well :wink:

You can use the S2000 in manual as a fill strobe. Or at least that's what I would so. YS-01 as main strobe and S2000 to fill specific shadows. The S2000 has a ttl low setting and the dimming works much better than the sea and sea

I've also paired an s2000 with a S&S YS90 Duo, and affirm the discrepancies in output and color temp. I have the Inon set as master and the S&S as a slave, but the opposite does sound like a better arrangement. I'll try this next...

Back
Top Bottom