1D-X or 5Diii ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I shot the 5D Mark II, and now the Mk III. From working topside (haven't dove the Mk3 yet, due to a car wreck), I can tell you the Mk3 is beyond awesome in low-light situations. With the new AF zones and focus points, it's a dream to shoot in low light (do a lot of macro, and the ability to focus in low-light is crucial).

As for traveling, I carry on two bags; a "personal" one, and my "carry on". The carry on is a Swiss pilots bag and holds my strobes, sync chords, reg, lenses, and batteries. My "personal bag" is LowePro Trekker, and I put the empty housing (an Ikelite), as well as the dome port (and now shade, as it was in my checked bag and the shade got a crack through one of the retaining screws). I almost always get a really thorough check at the security desk, and the roller bag is crammed to the brim.

Hope all the advice from everyone helped.

For a beginner diver, I feel that diving with a 5DMIII is a bit over the top. Diving can be risky, and after 20 dives you are not yet ready to handle all emergencies and situations that may occur.
As a pilot, you can compare it to taking your DSLR with 2 strobes radio-triggered on mini tripods to shoot some portraits of your co-pilot with aerial view background on your 20th flight ever on a plane. You might get some shots, but imagine handling emergency depressurization or ground evacuation with that gear on you...
As a diver you need to experience some gear failures such as weights dropping, regulator failing, buddy problems, currents, ear problems and more, before further complicating your dives with photography gear.

I would recommend going for a high-end compact such as the RX-100MII or the Canon G16, with one strobe (that will also fit your future DSLR rig).
Once you are confident enough, even after 20-30 more dives, sell it and get your dream system. That way you lose only 100$-200$ on the compact system but you know you are in control and ready to handle it.

That's my suggestion :)

I would go for the Nikon D 800e 😈😈. Just kidding, I would go for the smaller rig. One of the things you will find is that managing the rig on the boat, getting in and out as well as current and surge can be challenging at times. Whatever you choose, make sure you get a vacuum system ( Nauticam sell there own now and back scatter also have a good one), cheap insurance on such an expensive rig.
Regards
Larry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom