looking for travel BCD but do not like wing style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dano718

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone have any input on travel BCDs that are jack or vest, really do not like the wing style. Found that out with the jetpacks we bought love their traveling ability hated the bcd, it is great if you like the wings and don't have alot of chop. So do not think I am bad mouth them, if you love the wing style bcd they could be great for you.

A friend of mines wife uses the Aqualung Zuma and likes it. I believe Cressi also make a travel BC it's called the Travel Light I think. I'm sure there are others. Zeagle Express Tech? The Zuma and Express Tech are back inflate so you may not like them as similar to diving a wing. Cressi I'm not sure as have never seen one. Good luck with the search.

For travel I use a Zeagle Express Tech, which is basically a light wing with soft plastic backplate, but Zeagle now offers the Covert, which is a traditional jacket-style BC that is light-weight and intended for travel. The Covert is back-inflate. The Covert seems really nice. I guess you need to determine if you are ruling out back-inflate because it provides buoyancy from the back in a manner similar to a wing.

Scubapro GO - jacket style travel B.C.

I have around 20 dives on the Scubapro GO. It is a lightweight travel BC. The Go is so easy to pack you can take it in your carry-on. I found it very comfortable in the water, almost like it wasn't even on.

The GO is weight integrated with 6 aluminum D-rings, knife grommets and 2 large zippered pockets. It has quick release rotating shoulder buckles so it is easy to doff.

I would highly recommend it as a jacket style travel B.C.

If you are interested in more info on both new or used, visit Beaver Divers.

go-bc.jpg

One of the DM's in club bought himself a Mares Pegasus travel BC . He went diving last week and was not too impressed . . . .
Said it didn't feel comfortable maybe he still needs to get used to it. I use my trusty old Mares vektor 1000 BC its not much heavier or bulky than the latest model BC s.But when we go diving I have a BC that I'm most comfotable with .

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Tapatalk 2

Yes I am otter not a turtle I find that the back inflation and wing style BCD make me very uncomfortable on the surface. I feel like they are trying to drown me, in the water they are great. I would tell anyone that like the wing style try a jetpack. They are just not for me. I want something that will hold my head up so I can look for the boat in tough conditions. 6 to 9 foot seas with current is not the place to be struggling to keep your head above water and find the boat.

If you are feeling like that you don't have the weight distributed properly, are using too much weight requiring you to over inflate the wing, or have not been shown how nice it is to just lay back and relax like you are on a raft. Or maybe a combination of the above to some degree. 6-9 ft seas you should be carrying a large SMB and audio signaling device. It also helps to know where the boat is at all times from under the surface. Or at least what direction it is in. With a steel plate, a few pounds on the cam bands if necessary, and having just the right amount of weight to begin with a back inflate will not try to push you face forward or "drown you". A diver does that themselves when they are not using the gear in the right way with the right set up, weighting, and technique.

I previously owned a back inflate bcd, and understand what the OP is saying. A few years ago, I purchased a Cressi Travelite. I am a huge fan! Dano718, you haven't mentioned what dive conditions you expect to dive in. I wouldn't use my Travelite for cold water diving, as I don't feel confident that it would have enough lift. Otherwise, I was instantly comfortable from my first dive with it.

A second vote for the Scubapro GO. I don't have one myself but my main dive buddy does and loves it. If I was in the market for a new BC I'd most likely get one but I love my Scubapro Seahawk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom