Lake strom Thurmond/ Clarks hill water temp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello everyone. I will be in South Carolina in early may, 9th-11th. I was wondering if anyone had an idea of what the water temp might be near the airplane and the boat? (30-40 ft) I only have a 5mm wetsuit and hood so I was wondering if it would be worth bringing my gear down and trying to dive? Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

I think you would be fine. We had 60F today on the plane and ski boat. I would think that temps would be around the mid 60's by then on the plane. Keep in mind that the thermocline is usually right around the depth of the plane. It would be warmer just above the plane and on the rocks by several degrees. Some of our "regulars" are in 5mm with hood by then (you would want at least 3mm gloves though). Our river dives are good choices too - less depth, less wetsuit compression (more warmth), and temps in mid 60's by May.

---------- Post added April 12th, 2014 at 08:45 PM ----------

You can also join the Facebook group "Divers of Augusta" to see information re current temps, vis, and weekly dive plans. We have had way too much rain this winter and spring thus far, but it seems like that trend may be slowing down. Vis will pick up when it does.

that was my next question lol how is the vis. Also I will join that group thanks

Back
Top Bottom