Looking for computer options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captainhook426

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking for my first computer. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a computer that will evolve from my current recreational status to some of the technical diving I plan on in a few years. By technical I mean deep and nitrox, not necessarily trimix. I'm not sure what information you'll need from me, but I can answer anything yo the best of my abilities.

Thanks!

If money is no object a Shearwater Petrel is a great computer backed with awesome customer service and will easily take you where you want to go in your diving journey. Most computers are nitrox compatible. Depends on what features you want. My eyes are dying a slow death so for me I wanted a colour screen and wrist mount as they usually have larger numbers. I like computes that can be fitted with bungee or DSS bungee mounts. I've owned Suunto Mosquito, Gekko, Vyper a Cressi Eddy, a Henrichs Weikamp Frog and most recently a Petrel. All worked fine the wrist watch style numbers are too small for me and a pain to put on wearing thick gloves. The Gekko and Vyper have big numbers and can be fitted into DSS mounts, they have (lost Gekko) proven to be very reliable. The HW died a premature death. I like computers that have user replaceable batteries. I also like computers that run on cheap, easily available batteries eg AAs. I do a lot of night diving and I find a colour computer very convenient. If you're into downloading dives a computer with bluetooth saves you paying an often ridiculous amount of money on a download cable. Good luck with your search.

I honestly had not thought of the money aspect yet. I just get lost looking for the things that I want. I feel like most computers are in the same price range anyways.

A Petrel for example will set you back around $900 a Gekko/Zoop around $300. Prices vary considerably. Buy the one with features you like, can afford and is aesthetically pleasing to you. Like regulators, most are reliable and do what they are supposed to. One thing to bear in mind if you buy a cheaper one initially make sure it has guage mode as if you get into technical diving you'll need it and even if you end up, at a later stage, buying a different computer your first computer can be your back up in guage mode.

If you can post what you are looking at specifically folks can advise and give more info.

Like most things diving related a lot comes down to personal needs/preferences, one size does not fit all.

So deep and Nitrox are no longer considered "tech" diving. The bar has been moved much deeper into the pool. So baring true technical diving with multiple gases switches and low light environments.

I would recommend something like the DGO3 from hollis a simple 3 gas computer that will let you venture into some Nitrox and deco gas mixes at $250 its a bargain

http://www.divegearexpress.com/computers/dg03.shtml

If you want more features then you can step up into a Nitek Q which has 7 gas, supports Trimix, does both open circuit and closed and is an OLED for when it starts to get dark for about $600.

http://www.divegearexpress.com/computers/NiTekQ.shtml

If your going all the way to the deep end of the pool then you might as well get the petrel as that will be the last computer you will ever need and it will be the same unit that comes with most rebreathers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I honestly had not thought of the money aspect yet. I just get lost looking for the things that I want. I feel like most computers are in the same price range anyways.

No one can argue with your feelings, but the fact is that most computers are definitely not in the same price range.

Do you want entry-level or do you want something that you can use for deco diving? Most rec computers cannot be used for planned deco diving.

If price is no object, the Shearwater Petrel is what I usually see recommended here as the ultimate in dive computers. I have no personal experience with it so cannot comment intelligently on it.

I bought a Zoop, which can do nitrox but not heliox or trimix. Many divers start with an entry-level dive computer and when they move up in price use the entry-level computer as a backup in case the primary computer fails during a dive trip. Here is a link to a thread on the Zoop, which has some comparison with two other entry-level computers, the Puck and the Leonardo. Take a look at the features that are discussed there and it'll give you some idea of what an entry-level computer can do and then you can decide whether that will suffice for the time being.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/co...s-analyzers/476179-my-review-suunto-zoop.html

I would recommend that you go with something lower end right now. You can get a good reliable computer that will meet all of your diving needs you stated for under $200-300.

I started with a Mares puck, Air, Nitrox up to 50%, and guage mode. $175 new. As mentioned by Buddha, a high price cable was needed to transfer my dives. $80

A couple months ago I bought an Aladin 2G here on SB. $150, needed a new battery, $10. It supports gas switching Nitrox to 100% and guage mode. This has infared and came with a USB infared receiver for your computer.

I have not come close to needing any more that either of these computers are capable of.

Save your money on something like this and use the difference to go dive.

Make sure whatever you choose has gauge mode. If you actually do want to get into tech or just upgrade and go for something like a petral, you will have a bottom timer or a backup computer... and a lot more diving under your belt.

I recommend air integration and really like my Uwatec Sol or Luna. It's a big wrist unit that sits on my forearm. The display can be customized so at night I use the "light" display with large digits and keep the backlight on. You could check our the Hollis DG03 for a less expensive unit with air integration.

After a bad experience with my Vyper locking out for two days I personally would stay from Suunto.

A question that hasnot yet been covered is, do you want it on your console or wrist mounted?
I prefer wrist mount because I can glance at it without having to move my arms :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom