Axiom i3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is a gimmick and a joke. I checked in with my daughter as well as dive buds. It was like huh? Only reason I know this thing exists is I'm on this board.

Jim I dont mean to pick on you, and I realize that you are not a PADI instructor..but, your about me page states that you went all the way to DM under PADI, and as such, you would have done rescue exercise 7 twice...once as a rescue diver and once as a DM....and the exercise is to remove equipment from both yourself and the victim while towing them in and providing rescue breaths...., so Im having trouble understanding why you would be so suprised that I brought it up ..I only teach PADI, so that's the way I teach it.....towing a diver with equipment is much harder than towing a diver without.....a wetsuit provides plenty of buoyancy and all you need is their head out of the water....

I did do those but my instructor also had us use common sense. If you only have the head out of the water you cannot deliver effective rescue breaths. The angle is all wrong. Plus the added buoyancy their bc and yours gives allows you to keep.them in a prone position and higher out of the water. We were taught to undo a buckle, give two breaths, undo another two breaths and keep towing. This works if you have two people. But for a single person rescue it is total bs. You want the extra buoyancy. Why dump your gear where your shears are that you may need to cut their suit off? Why dump their gear when it may have something you can use? You loosen everything and then at the shore or boat just slide them off.

As for doing all of the above have you ever timed the difference between doing all that and just getting the vic out of the water? I have. With four buddy teams in a rescue class. Doing a by the book averaged between four and five minutes on a 100 yd tow. All the while noting that rescue breathing with out chest compressions is pretty much useless. Forgetting all that nonsense where the rescuers were trying to get a good airway on a non stable platform and just swimming the the vic to where they could do effective cpr was just over a minute. Brain damage sets in once you hit four without blood circulation.
This class had a physicians assistant with years in the ER, a pharmacist, and a combat medic. The consensus was forget the gear strip and having people who would likely not regularly pratice in water rescue breathing try to do it. They wanted the rescuer to get them or a vic to the shore or boat as fast as possible where real care could take place. So while it is still an exercise.in our program based on my experience and sending those results in, coupled with the new chest compression guidelines by the medical community for lay persons, students are shown and do both ways. With strong recommendations to use some common sense and do what they would want as far as care.
It is a nice exercise to demonstrate some things, but in the real world a diver trying to do all that who.does not have real expertise is likely going to.do a lot more.harm than good. I have had more than my share of over enthusiastic adrenalin fueled rescue students while a PADI DM playing victim nearly drown me trying to get high enough to give a rescue breath. Pushing my head under because they did not have enough air in the bc under me, in their bc, or because they did not believe they could get an effective breath in while turning my head a bit to do it. Which in fact as far as I know you can't.
As an instructor I have to use common sense as well and realize that these are not professional first responders. As such they need to concentrate on getting the vic out of the water. Not on ineffective techniques that delay real care. Some of the stuff is useful from a task loading and maybe even psychological standpoint for the rescuer, but the benefits to a real accident victim are debatable. Other than putting someone willing and somewhat able to help in the water with them.
Personally if it's me, if one is going to use the by the book stuff, just deflate my bc, toss your weights on me and let me go. I don't want to be a brain damaged invalid using up valuable resources because I was not gotten to proper care in time.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Jim I dont mean to pick on you, and I realize that you are not a PADI instructor..but, your about me page states that you went all the way to DM under PADI, and as such, you would have done rescue exercise 7 twice...once as a rescue diver and once as a DM....and the exercise is to remove equipment from both yourself and the victim while towing them in and providing rescue breaths...., so Im having trouble understanding why you would be so suprised that I brought it up ..I only teach PADI, so that's the way I teach it.....towing a diver with equipment is much harder than towing a diver without.....a wetsuit provides plenty of buoyancy and all you need is their head out of the water....

Assuming they are wearing a wetsuit, I've seen many divers in the tropics dive in just shorts.

I cant argue with your methodology, but I would not be within standards if I taught it that way.

Assuming they are wearing a wetsuit, I've seen many divers in the tropics dive in just shorts.

Ive never encountered any trouble floating someone in salt water, its usually getting them negative that's the problem

Personally, I will ditch the i3 too. Main reason is I prefer standarization in gear. Something that most of everyone know how to operate. Something that if break, I can easily find replacement. In the case of i3, the inflator mechanism is just too special. For everyone 100 divers I have seen, probably not even one will have it. If there is any issue at the dive site, it mean missing a dive or a dive trip. It is something I have persoanlly experienced, and I was glad my inflactor is a standard one.

so it behooves all Rescue Divers, DM's & Instructors to learn where the i3 lever is.
I'm not any of the above - nor ever will be. But I might have to rescue someone. So now I have 3 places to look when approaching a diver in distress right?

Aqualung I3 products - non-standard location for lever - inflator end visible on left shoulder - hose collapsed and stowed beneath velcro flap.
Mares AT products - non-standard location for AT pushbuttons - inflator end visible just above and behind it, hose concealed in BC.
Everybody else..

.that is if you can find the inflator....which by the way will be at the end of the inflator hose....just like on every BC ever made....
Assuming you can find the hose...:wink:

mares-hybrid-at-with-mrs-plus-weight-system-Big-1.jpg
axiom_i3.png

Last edited:
I cant argue with your methodology, but I would not be within standards if I taught it that way.

Ive never encountered any trouble floating someone in salt water, its usually getting them negative that's the problem

I'm not an instructer so imagine you've had way more experience than me. I do know in shorts I sink like a stone.

And what's that got to do with living in a free society that innovates new designs and concepts???
Gee... we are becoming all communistic these days or is that just old age weeping thru!

Since when does scuba have anything to with a free society? Lets see: To scuba you need mandatory training, required equipment, etc.

You don't like it don't buy it! Simple enough to me.
and don't be a rescue diver if your not up for changes in future, because the most certain thing in the future is change.......

I am already a rescue diver so that boat has already left. I could refuse to dive with anyone with an air trim or I3.

Since when does scuba have anything to with a free society? Lets see: To scuba you need mandatory training, required equipment, etc.

Conjecture at its best...

You can scuba without training. It is not against the law!

You cant get fills at dive store, get insurance or go on a dive charter- but you can dive privately using your own equipment, boat and even own a compressor to fill the tanks (it isn't rocket science). Notice they will sell you the gear without a card????

And in anycase, if the style of a BCD inflator is big drama for you to figure out; maybe that rescue ticket you got isn't worth so much anyhow........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom