First Stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cth6

Registered
Reaction score
Can you just buy a 1st Stage? :06:

I am asking because my wife is getting into diving and I want to move my octo to her primary 2nd stage and buy two inflator regs for the octos (One for me, one for her).

You can certainly buy a 1st stage independently from a 2nd stage, but be careful to make sure they will work together. Different 1st stage regs step the tank pressure down to different intermediate pressures; some step it down to 90 PSI above ambient while others step it down to 150 PSI above ambient.

You probably won't have a problem, but should make sure that the IP range provided by the 1st stage is the same that the 2nd stage is expecting.

cth6:
Can you just buy a 1st Stage? :06:

I am asking because my wife is getting into diving and I want to move my octo to her primary 2nd stage and buy two inflator regs for the octos (One for me, one for her).

You may have to search a bit for a dealer who will sell it that way. One online option is http://www.scubastore.com/eng/index.asp

My dealer wouldn't sell me an Apeks 1st stage by itself. They said they'd havet to wine to Aqualung about it too much. I bought my DS4 brand new off of Ebay. You can also get a Sherwood Blizzard 1st stage from Leisurepro. If you have a good relationship with your LDS, you might be able to. I'm sure if I complained to my LDS about it enough I'm sure they would have, but only because I have made quick friends with one of the owners and would have had to ask for a favor.

Wow. That really sucks. Try too look for a place that is not so rec diving oriented. Like my LDS alawys has a couple of DS4's in stock. It is not that hard to put one on their next purchase from Aqualung. I would stick with the DS4 and go elsewhere. I have 2 of them and it was easy to get.

Scuabpro list their first stages separately in the price list so ordering just a first stage is simple to do and should arrive at the LDS in about a week.

Most first stages operate in the 110 to 145 psi range and most second stages can be adjusted to function properly in this range. Proper adjustment is however needed but again should not be a problem as the dealer where you get the first stage should be abel to do it for you.

Online buying is a bad idea in this situation as proper adjustment may not be forthcoming at the local dive shop.

I've been looking for a Mares V16 first stage, but I'm not having any luck, either. If anybody knows where I can pick one up, I would appreciate the tip.

Thanks,
Thomas

Thanks for all of the responses.

DA Aquamaster:
Online buying is a bad idea in this situation as proper adjustment may not be forthcoming at the local dive shop.
rightly so.... no?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom