Diving with a Stent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have any medical expertise but I had a stent put into my heart in 2005. My doctor told me my heart was in great shape and I could keep diving or even run a marathon if I wanted. He said the trouble I had was a genetic flaw and my heart was in very good shape. I did keep diving for 6 more years and never did run a marathon. Simply having a stent in your heart isn't the only issue. Why you have this heart condition seems much more important. Adventure-Ocean

If a diver has no known coronary artery disease, does the dive-medicine community have a similar standard to evaluate a diver for fitness? Or does it cease to be a medical question if there is no known CAD?

Why do you say the "swimming one is impossibly wrong"? It says swimming 4.0 km/hr is 13.6 METS. 4.0 km/hr is swimming approximately 75 ft/min which is a pretty quick pace for an extended period of time. In cave diving (without flow) we usually plan a pace of about 50 ft/min. Adding some current and 75 feet/min is a good workout.

Dr. Bove gets his workload data and makes some of his recommendations from this reference:
Wasserman K, Whipp BJ, Koyal SM, Beaver WI:Anaerobic threshold and respiratory gas exchange during exercise. J Appl Physiol 35;236-243:1973.

I apologize, my math was apparently whacky last night. 4 km/hour is 66.7 m/minute and about 1:30 100 meter splits. Vigorous, but certainly not world class.

I think you're a bit math challenged too, 4000 m/hr = 2.5 mi/hour = 13,305 ft/hour = 221.8 ft/min :D

I'd love to know what your air consumption is after a few hundred meters at that pace :)

4 km/hour is 66.7 m/minute and about 1:30 100 meter splits. Vigorous, but certainly not world class.
It is also just over a yard (or metre) a second. The point is you don't have to sustain it for 100 m.

It is really not that hard to do as a short burst.

Edit: needless to say, it is always better to try this after warming up or building up slowly to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting the link to the article debersole.

I swim for exercise and using the study's reference for SCUBA diving (11 METs) to roughly the equivalent for swimming 3.5 km/hr. (11.5 METs) I get roughly 116 meters/minute of swimming is roughly the equivalent.
I wonder how you arrived at 116 m/min.
3.5km/h = 3500m/60min = 58.33 m/min still high but only half your speed :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom