My daughter's ashes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be bringing a small amount of my brothers ashes this May. I started diving when I was 22 years old back in 1977. I did not have any friends that were into diving and was not one that liked to travel alone so I soon gave up the sport. Fast forward to 2006, my sister Inlaws brother becomes a dive master and gets my older brother certified. He gives me a call and suggests I take a refresher and we can all start diving together so I do. We decide that the 3 of us and our wives do annual trips to Cozumel and we book our first trip. One month before we leave the brother in law is diagnosed with cancer. The trip gets canceled but seeing as he is not my relative our trip insurance will not allow my wife and I to cancel so I do my first dive trip without them.

The next fall my brother and I decide to do a trip that coming winter so we book a trip for he and I and our wives, his brother Inlaw is too ill to join us. A month after booking that trip my brother is diagnosed with cancer at the age of 58.

Both of them pass away within 6 months of each other. Throughout there illnesses we hung onto the hope that the chemo would give them a window of decent health to do a dive trip and that did happen but it was booked quickly and I could not make it work for me. They had a great time and it was the only time my brother got the chance to dive in the ocean. He loved Cozumel and we talked often about it as he got sicker.

Though we never got the chance to dive together in Cozumel I will say I take him with me on every dive I do. So I will take just a small amount of his ashes and give them to the water we both love.

gaffer

My eldest daughter and I enjoyed diving until her passing this year because of breast cancer. Her favorite place to dive was Cozumel. I have an urn with some of her ashes and would like to place the urn somewhere on the reef. I am guessing this is not an ok thing to do, but does anyone know what consequences I might face if I was "apprehended" while doing this?

TIA
MARK

Mark. I can't even imagine the depth of your loss. If I lost my daughter it would kill me. I wish you strength, peace and healing.

As for your idea. Alas, I've had to make this decision several times in my life. In each case I just did what *felt* right. My best friend committed suicide. He was clear in his letter of intent that he wanted to be spread off the coast of a certain Island... We did it.

My uncle, the man who taught me to dive was clear that he wanted to be laid to rest in his favorite fishing lake. We did it.

An aunt in her favorite camping spot

My grandfather in the one place he felt at peace during a life troubled by PTSS after giving it all in WWII.

and so on.... there were others.

And EVERY SINGLE TIME I've had to do this, I've had the same feeling....

Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

Do what you feel honours your daughter and would make her happy. In the next 100 years, 6 billion people will need to be buried somehow. To hell with rules. Make your daughter's count!

R..

A couple of quotes from the link I provided earlier.

Eternal Reefs are now available in the Pacific Ocean off of gorgeous Acapulco, Mexico. Permitted locations for Eternal Reefs and ash scatterings are now approved in Mexican waters. Families can choose either attended or unattended services.

Ash-scattering service are also available Cancun.

ASH SCATTERING SERVICES starting at $650
UNATTENDED ASH SCATTERING start at $650 plus 16% value added tax.
Pricing includes:

• Receipt of cremated remains.
  • All government permits, documentation and reporting required for ash scattering.
  • Transportation and scattering of remains at the permitted site.
  • Photographs of the ash scattering.
  • Certificate of Scattering and Dedication showing the GPS coordinates of the ash scattering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom