Wal-Mart North 49 vs Pelican Super Sabrelite Comparo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I asked a question a while ago regarding the North 49, a Pelican Super Sabrelite clone light that they sell in Canadian Wal-Marts for C$8.97. There were a number of differing opinions regarding the quality of the light, mostly from folks who had never seen it, so I thought I’d compare it and test it side by side with a real Sabrelite.

The first picture shows the two lights side by side. They certainly look the same. The same mold could have been used. The hardware on the clips are the same. The plastic used in the bodies is different however – the Sabrelite uses a hard plastic - polycarbonate maybe? The N49 light doesn’t feel quite as hard, and has an almost vinyl feel. The SS light also has a pressure relief valve built into it just behind the bezel. Both have similar cords, but the N49’s is thicker.

The second picture shows the threads where the bezel screws onto the light body. The threads are different, with the N49 having coarser thread pattern with two more turns than the SS light. The N49 has a second o-ring at the base of the threads where the SS only has one. I don’t see the benefit of the second o-ring – it never comes into play unless the bezel is screwed all the way down.

Pictures three and four are the light modules, the SS on the left and the N49 on the right. The SS bulb is long, and the reflector is smooth inside and the module is shorter than the N49’s. The N49 reflector is multifaceted.

The next two pictures are of the battery trays. The SS red tray had the metal straps along the side that seemed a little long and bulged out. It also had a foam pad glued to the bottom of it. The black N49 tray already showed signs of corrosion on the battery tab in the second picture.

The bezels look similar, but the SS bezel is slightly thinner and of a harder material than the N49’s bezel. The plastic lens on the N49 didn’t seem as clear as the SS’s lens, and the N49 has a sloppy glue job holding it to the bezel.

Lastly the picture light patterns are telling. The SS’s pattern on the left is much sharper and defined than the N49’s on the right. The N49’s light dispersed much faster underwater, while the Sabrelite is aptly named throwing a tight beam a good distance in the water.

I took both lights on four dives to test durability. The first two were day dives, the deepest to 62 feet. I left them in a pocket, so I didn’t notice that I didn’t unscrew the N49 off enough and the pressure must have pushed the bezel in enough to activate the light because the batteries were dead when I tried to use it on the second dive.

The second set of dives were night dives, the deepest to 69 feet. The SS was used by a buddy as a primary light, and the N49 as a back up. The N49 was activated during the first dive to check the beam at night underwater. It was during a test during the second dive that water was noticed in the reflector. By the time we got back on the boat, the reflector was full of the telltale dark brown water of corroded batteries in a flooded light.

The North 49 scuba light is not a recommended buy.

Marc

Rest of the pictures.

Marc

Imagine that.

Wallmart makes a cheap, slave labour, knock off pelican - and it sucks - go figure.

yknot:
Is the clone light from Walmart actually advertised as a dive light or is it just assumed to be because of the o-rings? BTW, from a site like www.brightguy.com, the authentic Pelican lights aren't that expensive.
It does say Dive light on the package. I bought 3...two were used and they both flooded. They are POS....needless to say, after that I just went out and bought two Scouts.

Well I've proud of you for doing all that research!..Some of the other divers sure took the mickey out of you, but you know there's nothing better than a sidebyside comparision. That info would be worth sending to Walmart! That way they may change the rating on the light to say dives less than 20 feet :) Many people are always looking to save a penny, but at what cost?
Thanks again!

yknot:
Is the clone light from Walmart actually advertised as a dive light or is it just assumed to be because of the o-rings? BTW, from a site like www.brightguy.com, the authentic Pelican lights aren't that expensive.

It does say DIVE LIGHT in big letters across the top of the packaging, and says it's waterproof to 100m. There's even an enterprising gent in Toronto who's selling these on ebay now.

The brightguy.com site is still a bit pricey for lights. Leisure Pro beats them, ebay does even better.

Marc

FLL Diver:
It does say DIVE LIGHT in big letters across the top of the packaging, and says it's waterproof to 100m. There's even an enterprising gent in Toronto who's selling these on ebay now.

The brightguy.com site is still a bit pricey for lights. Leisure Pro beats them, ebay does even better.

Marc
OMG....the current bid is $20 US...for $9 Can light...that leaks...Tooooooo Funny

FLL Diver:
Marc

Could be. I got a new L.E.D. style Pelican from them for my birthday a few months ago. At the time I couldn't find the light I wanted on either ebay or LP and it was on sale at brightguy with free shipping. When the light arrived, a piece was broken. One toll free phone call later, no questions asked had a new piece in my hands from the within a couple of days. Bottom line, only IMHO, is online competitive pricing along with LDS type customer service and support.

FLL Diver,

Thank you very much for reducing the signal to noise ratio that (I'm sure unintentionally on your part) resulted from your first post on this topic. I really, really appreciate the impirical data provided at your time and expense.

Sincerely and gratefully yours,

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom